Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1916/M1917 German Helmet

Article about: Gareth, It has come up a treat ! you will find it both near impossible and very expensive to obtain a genuine liner, there are plenty of repros around, but they will look out of place on a h

Default M1916/M1917 German Helmet

M1916/M1917 German HelmetM1916/M1917 German HelmetM1916/M1917 German Helmet
    Hi there just joined the site and need a little help. I have got what I think is an M1916/17 helmet. Unfortunately it has been painted black as you can hopefully see from the attached pictures. I would like to restore it, but not having done this before I am not entirely sure how. Firstly I need to take the black, I think enamel, paint off. What is the best thing to do that with? It has a crack that I want to fill again how best should I do that. I then need to paint it and I need some help here too.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1916/M1917 German Helmet   M1916/M1917 German Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1916/M1917 German Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: M1916/M1917 German Helmet

Gareth, first of all welcome to the forum, being your first visit you have posted in the wrong section, no problem, I will ask an administrator to place in the Imperial German sub section. Your helmet is a Model 1917 Stahlhelm, readily identifieble by its metal liner band, the Model 1916 had an all leather liner, I would, if mine strip off the black paint, see whats underneath before you decide to repaint, (IMO would leave what ever is beneath and just treat it with a restoration type wax).....you helmet with its crack is what I would term as "semi relic" condition, I would leave the crack as there is a huge market for these types of helmets, fill it and you could/would devalue it. Is there any stampings on the inside of the helmet, on the skirt forward of the chinstrap mounts, for example "ET 64" judging by the stepped vent lugs I would say it was either a size 62 or 64. You may find a series of numbers stamped into the inside dome/crown area, such as "B1324" for example. Hope that helps.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve sorry about that! Thanks for your advice. I take your point about over restoring. \gareth

Gareth, no problem, ive asked for it to be moved, regarding restoration, its your helmet, you can do what you want with it....but most collectors here will tell you to "sympathetically" restore, i.e. slowly,slowly. catchee monkey ! it has the potential to be a good helmet. Have you looked for any markings ?
    prost ! steve.

Steve

Ive had a look but can't see any, but there is a bit of rust inside. I will start as you suggest as I would like to restore it properly. Not having done this before where would I get restoration wax and IMO? Thanks Gareth

Gareth, there is a sub forum entitled "Restoration and Refurbishing", go to the Forum tab at top of page, then when the forum page comes up its near the bottom, scroll down until you come across it, it is full of useful tips from members who have done what you are about to do....see here for the wax Renaissance wax --- what do you think? let us know how you are getting on, and ask for advice anytime.
    Prost ! Steve.

Steve great thanks a lot Gareth

ian
    ?

i agree with all the thought and advice given by steve he is the man for 1stww stuff
    there are ral numbers for the correct paint should you decide to re paint it
    infact the only ral number not known to exsist is for apple green
    funny thing to me its the most pleasing colours used by the germans
    and apple green is and has many diferent shades
    i believe apple green was used during ww1 up until the 1935 helmet
    ive sertanly never seen an 40 in apple green
    as far as the first world war
    most but by no meens all were commo,ed
    but through the usual german eficiency an ral code was recorded for all official paint
    but soldiers being soldiers
    paint it with what you have is the order of the day
    enjoy your helmet ,what ever you choos to do with it
    cheers ian

ian
    ?

oh by the way i purchased some apple green paint (suposadly) from a company in the USA
    it had a better match to to the back of my grannys knickers than any shade of apple green ive ever seen
    the moral of the story is only buy from a recomended company
    should you choose to re paint
    cheers ian

M1916/M1917 German HelmetM1916/M1917 German HelmetM1916/M1917 German Helmet

I have removed all the black paint as you will see. It has come up quite well. Rather than paint it I feel that waxing would be best. There are a few things of which I am unsure and would like some help. I can't see any markings. Were all helmets marked? Also I would like to get a lining and strap are the correct ones easy to come by? If I did this I would need to remove the liner band is this easy/wise? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Gareth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast