Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Militarpass and Soldbuch Grouping

Article about: Hello, I got this grouping with a Militarpass and Soldbuch. I would like to gist of it translated. I dont need it word for word just the gist of what it says. I appreciate any help and thank

Thumbs up Militarpass and Soldbuch Grouping

Hello, I got this grouping with a Militarpass and Soldbuch. I would like to gist of it translated. I dont need it word for word just the gist of what it says. I appreciate any help and thank you. Im only including pictures of the Militarpass in this thread so there wont be so many pictures. The Soldbuch will be in a following thread
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Militarpass and Soldbuch Grouping   Militarpass and Soldbuch Grouping  

Militarpass and Soldbuch Grouping   Militarpass and Soldbuch Grouping  

Militarpass and Soldbuch Grouping  

?

Hello John,
    I can’t decipher everything but there is at least some information. Hopefully someone more familiar with German handwriting will be able to tell you more and fill in the various places I was not able to figure out.

The documents belonged to a pioneer named Gottlieb Pensel, who was born in Helmbrechts in the vicinity of Münchberg (Bavaria), on July 27, 1887.

By the time he was conscripted his father had already passed away so his name remains unknown. His mother, however, was named Anna Simon. Mr. Pensel himself was a merchant, still single and childless. He was a member of the Protestant Church.

He didn’t have to fight actively when the war broke out. From August 3, 1914 till the end of 1915 Mr. Pensel served in the Labor Battalion XIV (Arbeiter Battailon XIV). This seems to spare him the necessity to fight on the battlefront for quite a long time. In February 1916 he was finally transferred to the 3rd Pioneer Reserve Battalion. From April 1916 until January 1918 he took part in the stationary battles at Vosges (April - November 1916), shortly at Verdun (November - December 1916) and then again in at Vosges (January 1917 until the end of the war).

On April 6, 1917 Mr. Pensel received Iron Cross Second Class. He had no record of military punishment and his conduct was deemed to be “very good” by his superiors. He was discharged from the Army on December 8, 1918.

The Militärpass holder was a Pionier named Gottlieb Pensel from Helmbrechts near Hof in Upper Franconia, Bavaria. He was born on 27th July 1887, of protestant faith and (at the time the document was issued) unmarried. His civilian occupation is given as Kaufmann [lit. "merchant", but it more often refers to an employee of some commercial enterprise].

From 3rd August 1914 to 30th Dec. 1915, he served as a civilian worker with a labor battalion based in Ingolstadt, Bavaria. (His unit was the 1. Kompanie, Arbeiter-Bataillon XIV [1st Company, Labor Battalion XIV].)

On 1st Feb. 1916, he was called up for active military service with the 3. Pionier-Ersatz-Bataillon, Rekruten-Depot III [3rd Engineer Replacement Battalion, Recruit Depot III].

On 1st April 1916, he was transferred to the 2. Ersatz-Kompanie [2nd Replacement Company], then, on 11th April 1916 to the Bayerische Reserve-Pionier-Kompanie No. 2 (1. Bayerische Pionier-Ersatz-Kompanie) [Bavarian Reserve Engineer Company no. 2 (1st Bavarian Engineer Replacement Company)].

Combat service:

• 11th April 1916 - 5th Nov. 1916 - Position warfare in the Central Vosges*
    • 6th Nov. 1916 - 25th Nov. 1916 - Rest in the rear area
    • 26th Nov. 1916 - 14th Dec. 1916 - Position warfare by Verdun
    • 15th Dec. 1916 - 16th Dec. 1916 - Fighting near Louvement and Bezonvaux
    • 17th Dec. 1916 - 18th Dec. 1916 - Position warfare by Verdun
    • 19th Dec. 1916 - 31st Dec. 1916 - Rest in the rear area
    • 1st Jan. 1917 - 10th Jan. 1918 - Position warfare in the Central Vosges
    • 11th Jan. 1918 - 11th Nov. 1918 - Position warfare in the Vosges

* During this period, he was briefly admitted to a military hospital on 27th July 1916 and returned to his company on 3rd August 1916.

On 6th April 1917, he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class.

From 9th Sept. 1918 to 25th Sept. 1918, he was detailed to Pionier-Bataillon 23 [Engineer Battalion 23].

He was discharged on 8th Dec. 1918, returning to his hometown of Helmbrechts and got transferred to the reserves on 25th Februay 1919.

Thanks to both of your for your help I really appreciate it
    John