Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Model 1889 Degen Questions...

Article about: I am looking for some information on a sword I picked up today. It's a Prussian Model 1889 degen with a double etched blade. On one side it has a "Crown over KS(?) over 4" cypher a

RZM
    ?

Default Model 1889 Degen Questions...

I am looking for some information on a sword I picked up today. It's a Prussian Model 1889 degen with a double etched blade. On one side it has a "Crown over KS(?) over 4" cypher and "Husaren Rgt. v. Schill 1. Schles No.4". On the other side is a scene with horses and soldiers in battle. My questions are, what ruler does the cypher represent? What regiment did this sword belong to? Finally, can anyone identify the manufacturer of this sword? I believe the manufacturers mark is the eagle in the last picture. There are letters going around it that I believe is the manufacturer, but I can't make them out. Any help would be appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Model 1889 Degen Questions...   Model 1889 Degen Questions...  

Model 1889 Degen Questions...   Model 1889 Degen Questions...  

Schles might be a shortened Schlesisches (Silesian)!.....

?

The regiment is; Husaren-Regt. von Schill (1.Schlesisches) Nr.4 (Ohlau) VI Armee Korps. I think the monogram may actually be a HS for Husaren Schill, the star is a Prussian Garde star (lettering should read: Suum Cuique) and appear to be just part of the decoration of the blade. The image of the hussar shows a star on his Pelzmütze (Busby), this regiment did not wear a star. So I think the maker had a standard pattern design for the blades and just changed the regimental IDs.