Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

More M16/17's

Article about: Thank you I had been looking at all the slight variations in the shape of the shell. Your explanation makes things much easier.

Default Re: More M16/17's

Thank you
    I had been looking at all the slight variations in the shape
    of the shell. Your explanation makes things much easier.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Thank you
    I had been looking at all the slight variations in the shape
    of the shell. Your explanation makes things much easier.
    Chopperman,...manufacturers of the M16/17/18 helmets made them in the shape we all instantly recognise, but most were slightly different, i.e. longer visor, shorter skirt, visor to skirt angle, take a look at the thread 'What is this helmet?' by cricketchris1944, also in the Imperial German/Austro-Hungary forum, i put some information on there regarding shape/maker marks M16/17/18, you may find it helpful.

The other fellow was quite right - these helmets are being "De-Militarized" post-war. I've heard of this in many places and seen quite a few photographs of helmets with very similar damage. Many WW2 helmets also received the same treatment , and you tend to see more of them go up for sale in this condition than WW1 helmets.

?

Perhaps we should show this picture every time someone insists that the helmet they have is true battle damaged, because i really dont think that we are believed and then subjected to comments stating we dont have a clue about what we are talking about. a picture paints a thousand words

Gentlemen,

There was an article posted on another forum (Demilled M16 Helmet.... photos added to end) that covered this same material. I have encluded the URL in case anyone would like to take a look. I recently obtained one of these types of helmets (after being beat out on another )

Anton

The purpose was to destroy the helmets as part of the demilitarization required by the Versailles Treaty. Many were repaired and reissued to Freikorps troops in the interwar period. I have an Imperial ear cut out helmet that has a repair of a hole that most likely was caused by a blow from a pick ax delivered by someone doing exactly what this man in the picture was doing. When I pull that one out of storage I will post it. Cheers, Jim G.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12