Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Great Great Grandfathers Military Documents

Article about: Hi All, Despite being only 2 generations removed from the father land, my ability to read German is non-existent. I recently found my great great grandfathers (Gottlieb Christian Adolph Kaec

?

Default My Great Great Grandfathers Military Documents

Hi All,
    Despite being only 2 generations removed from the father land, my ability to read German is non-existent. I recently found my great great grandfathers (Gottlieb Christian Adolph Kaechelin) military documents from his time in German/Prussian Army in what I believe was a Wuerttemberg Artillery Regiment.

In any case, below are his documents. I was hoping that someone may be able to assist me in translating. I believe the last page may reference his discharge because of his leaving Germany to come to America.

By the way, the photo in my avatar is the same man. He is in the center.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Masonk; 06-22-2012 at 02:04 PM.

?

Default Re: My Great Great Grandfathers Military Documents

I thought I would bump this and add a photo of my great great grandfather that I was unable to upload earlier.

?

One more bump in hopes someone can assist me. I of course wouldn't need a verbatim translation; just a quick synopsis of the documents if someone is able to help.

Thanks in advance!

Hello

Those are some very interesting an quite comprehsive documents you have been able to find. Im sorry that i am not able to deliver a in-verbatim translation but my skills in reading the old german Suetterlin Schrift are poor. As far as i can tell, and let others correct me, the red document is his draft and mobilisation orders. Most of the other documents seem to be dealing with his registrations in and out of his regiment for the purpose of vacation or other. Some of he documents give personal details such as religion and family status along with his service details. the last documents do indeed give details about his discharge and entry into the LandSturm. The first booklets are his military passports.

I hope this Helps

Hey Eric, I can help with transcriptions of these documents, but I am very busy at this time. I would also like to have larger scans if possible, as the script is often difficult to read when it is fractured in documents, as one does not have context to help. If you could send scans to me at magnus(at)safelink.net I will try to get some information for you in the next few weeks.
    Gottlieb Christian Adolph Kächelin was born the 23rd of December 1878 in Ludwigsburg in the state of Wurtemburg, he was a saddler by trade and was evangelical. He was married with no children (at the time of the document) The date and nature of his enlistment was 14. October 1898 as replacement recrute. He wass posted to the field artillerie regiment 1st Wurttemburg No. 13 batterie 11.
    Best
    Gus
    Last edited by Gustaf B; 06-23-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: error in transcription resulting in error in translation

?

Gentlemen,
    Thank you very much for the info! And Gus, I truly appreciate your offer to fully translate the documents for me. It would take me forever to attempt on my own!

I'll get large format photos over to you tomorrow!

Thanks again!

Eric

Allow me to provide a synopsis of the documents:

The first document ("Führungszeugnis") is a certificate of conduct. Mr. Kächelin had served as a Kanonier (lit. "gunner", i.e. an artillery private) with the 11th, later the 5th Battery of Field Artillery Regiment "King Karl" (1st Wurttembergian) No. 13 from 14 Oct. 1898 through 28 Sept. 1900. His conduct was good; he was not subjected to any judicial or administrative punishments.

The red document ("Kriegs-Beorderung") is a notice for the event of a general mobilization. In the event of mobilization, Mr. Kächelin was to report to the Boys' Elementary School at Göppingen by 10 A.M. on the 4th day of mobilization without awaiting additional call-up orders.

The data in his military passport ("Militär-Paß") is as follows:

Pg. 1:
    Gottlieb Christian Adolf Kächelin, born 23 Dec. 1878 at Ludwigsburg (district Ludwigsburg) in the state of Wurttemberg. Saddler by trade. Of Protestant faith. Married without children. Called up for active duty as a replacement recruit with the 11th Battery of Field Artillery Regiment "King Karl" (1st Wurttembergian) No. 13 on 14 Oct. 1898.

Pg. 2:
    No transfers to other units; but due to the field artillery's re-organization, the 11th Battery became the 5th Battery on 1 Oct. 1899.
    No promotions.
    Dismissed from active service and taken into the reserves on 28 Sept. 1900.

Pg. 3:
    Unit from which he was dismissed: 5th Battery of Field Artillery Regiment "King Karl" (1st Wurttembergian) No. 13; listed as No. 26 in the personnel roster for 1898.
    No orders or decorations.
    No participation in campaigns, not wounded.

Pg. 4:
    Trained as a gun crew member and a gunlayer with the horse-drawn artillery's M 96 field artillery armament as well as with the M 89 revolver.
    No shooting awards.
    Was lectured on various subjects (pension claims, secrecy requiremnts, free railway transport) and medically examined and found healthy and fit for duty prior to discharge.
    Listing of foot measurements and boot size.
    No qualification certificates.

Pg. 5:
    No uniform items handed over upon dismissal.

Pg. 5/6:
    Journey home was to be undertaken by railway from Cannstatt to Göppingen on a free military railway pass.

Pg. 7:
    Transfer to the 1st Landwehr Levy on 2 April 1906.

Pg. 14:
    Address on 29 Sept. 1900: Querstraße 4, Göppingen. (for written correspondence: Göppingen 53)

Pg. 15:
    On 26 May 06, was granted a two-year leave for going to America. Exempt from having to report to assemblies and from participation in military exercises up to 1 Dec. 1908, but required to return to Germany in the event of general mobilization.

Pg. 16:
    Back from America; residence still at Querstraße 4, Göppingen. (entry dated 23 Sept. 1907)
    Gone on journeyman years as a craftsman. (entry dated 27 June 1908)

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Allow me to provide a synopsis of the documents:

The first document ("Führungszeugnis") is a certificate of conduct. Mr. Kächelin had served as a Kanonier (lit. "gunner", i.e. an artillery private) with the 11th, later the 5th Battery of Field Artillery Regiment "King Karl" (1st Wurttembergian) No. 13 from 14 Oct. 1898 through 28 Sept. 1900. His conduct was good; he was not subjected to any judicial or administrative punishments.

The red document ("Kriegs-Beorderung") is a notice for the event of a general mobilization. In the event of mobilization, Mr. Kächelin was to report to the Boys' Elementary School at Göppingen by 10 A.M. on the 4th day of mobilization without awaiting additional call-up orders.

The data in his military passport ("Militär-Paß") is as follows:

Pg. 1:
    Gottlieb Christian Adolf Kächelin, born 23 Dec. 1878 at Ludwigsburg (district Ludwigsburg) in the state of Wurttemberg. Saddler by trade. Of Protestant faith. Married without children. Called up for active duty as a replacement recruit with the 11th Battery of Field Artillery Regiment "King Karl" (1st Wurttembergian) No. 13 on 14 Oct. 1898.

Pg. 2:
    No transfers to other units; but due to the field artillery's re-organization, the 11th Battery became the 5th Battery on 1 Oct. 1899.
    No promotions.
    Dismissed from active service and taken into the reserves on 28 Sept. 1900.

Pg. 3:
    Unit from which he was dismissed: 5th Battery of Field Artillery Regiment "King Karl" (1st Wurttembergian) No. 13; listed as No. 26 in the personnel roster for 1898.
    No orders or decorations.
    No participation in campaigns, not wounded.

Pg. 4:
    Trained as a gun crew member and a gunlayer with the horse-drawn artillery's M 96 field artillery armament as well as with the M 89 revolver.
    No shooting awards.
    Was lectured on various subjects (pension claims, secrecy requiremnts, free railway transport) and medically examined and found healthy and fit for duty prior to discharge.
    Listing of foot measurements and boot size.
    No qualification certificates.

Pg. 5:
    No uniform items handed over upon dismissal.

Pg. 5/6:
    Journey home was to be undertaken by railway from Cannstatt to Göppingen on a free military railway pass.

Pg. 7:
    Transfer to the 1st Landwehr Levy on 2 April 1906.

Pg. 14:
    Address on 29 Sept. 1900: Querstraße 4, Göppingen. (for written correspondence: Göppingen 53)

Pg. 15:
    On 26 May 06, was granted a two-year leave for going to America. Exempt from having to report to assemblies and from participation in military exercises up to 1 Dec. 1908, but required to return to Germany in the event of general mobilization.

Pg. 16:
    Back from America; residence still at Querstraße 4, Göppingen. (entry dated 23 Sept. 1907)
    Gone on journeyman years as a craftsman. (entry dated 27 June 1908)
    Thank you, sir. This is perfect and is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Thanks again!

Eric, great pieces of family history ! thanks for showing ! and a big thanks to HPL2008 for his time and as always, helpful and thorough translation, great information
    Prost ! Steve.

Sherry Bowers Vandehey
    ?

Hi Eric,

Ill give you starting point based on what I can read on the first document Eric. It would help to have a scanned document tho - when I try and increase the size the page gets blurry and illegible so I cannot make out many of the words - especially the handwritten words. If you can get them scanned, email them to me and I can work on them. Based on what I can see, it looks like your reference point concerning his unit is "Field Artillery Regiment "King Charles" (1.Wurtt.) # 13"

Certificate of Good Conduct

Gottlieb Christian Adolf Kächelin
    born on 23rd September 1878 in Ludwigsburg
    XXXXXXXXX
    has bxxn 14 th October 1878 to 78 (?) cant really see this either) September

5th Battery
    Field Artillery Regiment "King Charles" (1.Wurtt.) # 13
    served and performed during xxxxxx xxx xxx xxxxxx.

Penalties:

Like I said, it would help greatly if I was able to zoom in on words - tweaking the contrast and brightness just didn't help. There's a few things about the King Charles Regt online.

*******I just saw that this has been translated - thank you to whomever did! My German is ATROCIOUS!**********
    Interesting...It does look like upon his return from America my great gpa Eugen had just turned 8 months old. Wonder whom he visited?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast