MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Pickelhaube

Article about: Here is an additional photo requested by Stuka F. Its the back of the front plate on my Helmet. Robert

Default My Pickelhaube

Hello Group,

I have a Pickelhaube that I have had for 50 years or so. The chin strap broke many years back and I believe I have the metal parts but have to locate them. I am posting some photos I have of the helmet and I have several questions regarding it and its condition.

What might this helmet be worth in its present condition?

What can you tell me about the helmet / markings / year?

What you consider the helmets condition to be?

Would applying restoration parts (i.e. chinstrap) increase its value any?

Where might ORIGINAL replacement parts be found?

There is a marking inside, visible in some of the photos but its hard for me to make out clearly. It appears to be a stamping but I can only make out the word "Greenbach" and some smaller wording below it. Any help with identifying this would be appreciated as well.

Thank you all in advance for your help, information and comments.

Robert Federle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Pickelhaube   My Pickelhaube  

My Pickelhaube   My Pickelhaube  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Default Re: My Pickelhaube

you have a very nice Prussian reserve unit 1897/15 artillery 'kugelhelm' versus a 'pickel' ball top vs. spike. this forum can straighten you out for parts, they turn up on ebay too.

World War I

good reference: Artillerie

Thank you Asterperious. Every little bit of info helps. I appreciate the reply.

Robert

it is in really nice shape too, only a bit of crazing on the lacquer finish. It does not seem to have and depot marks or unit stamps. It may not have been issued, which seams unlikely, but the liner has nearly no wear either. Maybe a private purchase item to a wealthier reserve NCO. Any, a gem.

It is not a "reserve"!
    Reserve would not have the motto on the banner and a Landwher cross (with the motto!).
    But i have a probleme with the stud retainers with split pen retaining the ball top.
    The helmet plate refers to specific artillerie regiments i don't know by hart.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thank you again Sir. It does seem to be in good shape and I have had it packed away for nearly the entire time I have had it. I only wish I had the chinstrap and I believe there was a type of cord or thread (string) that tied the interior flaps together. Again, thank you Sir.

Robert

Thank you as well Stuka F for your input. The split pins holding the top ball in place were there when I obtained the helmet long ago so I cant vouche for the authenticity of those. I am not familiar with the terms used and if you could explain what you mean by the term "Landwher" and "helmet plate"?

Chinstrap's can be found on ebay on occasions.
    I wouldn't mind the cord for the interior!
    It's condition is fairly good, congratulation on preserving it!
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

Helmet plate is the eagle on the helmet.
    Landwher cross is a cross that comes on top of the plate, if it was a "reserve"... nothing to do with your helmet! I just mentioned it because someone sujested it being a reserve helmet!
    Here is a "Landwher cross" on the helmet of a member of the reserve (but then again thise is a officer infanterie!!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Pickelhaube  

cheers
    |<ris

Thank you. I had assumed this was the case but you know what happens to thoise that assume. I just wanted to be sure I was thinking correctly. You seem very knowledgable and I appreciate your help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast