Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My sabre

Article about: Hi there! I found this sabre in an old abandoned farm in Germany. I have no idea what kind it is and which period it belongs to. Does anyone have any ideas? all the best, O.S.

I think that I would have to have a more solid appearance
    and is not as old or real one as appears

Name:  1730-english-smallsword-3.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  1730-english-smallsword-5.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  1730-english-smallsword-6.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  57.4 KB

Wow thanks for the many answers!

Well, Now I have at least a bit of an idea about what I'm holding in my hands.

Were these small swords also produced in Germany? Or is it rather a French product that was brought here? I wonder if swords like these were civilian or also used for military purposes.
    Why do you think is it a bad idea to polish it? Don't you think it would look nice and shiny and the remains of the gilding would be visible again?

Cheers, O.S.

@ TrondK

Why do you think it is a bad idea to polish it a bit?

I agree with our colleague that it would not be a good idea to polish this sword. Its history and authenticity reside in its current condition; besides that, if you polish it you will certainly significantly reduce its monetary value. In terms of the practicality of polishing it, I suspect that it would require quite aggressive treatment, especially of the blade, if it was ever to be made "shiny", which would actually destroy it as a historical artifact. If it is really an 18th C sword - I don't have the knowledge - it is in quite good condition in my opinion.

Regards, Philip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12