Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My two new pickelhaubes

Article about: Just picked up these two for \\$165, how did I do? All the best, Stefan

?

Default My two new pickelhaubes

Just picked up these two for $165, how did I do?

All the best,
    Stefan

My two new pickelhaubesMy two new pickelhaubesMy two new pickelhaubesMy two new pickelhaubesMy two new pickelhaubes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My two new pickelhaubes
    P
    Many

Default Re: My two new pickelhaubes

i havent a clue on these but they certainly look period ,

Looks like a good start!

From what I can see, they look fairly straight. I would advise, however, to use EXTREME Caution if you intend to "unflatten" the one piece, as the leather is Very fragile at this time and age and will Absolutely crack and split if not super careful. Do you have any shots of the insides of them? And, do you intend to restore them? The flattened one only needs the 2 cockardes and a replica chinstrap(period straps are almost unheard of to find and are usually found in crumbling condition). The other simply needs the same and the front plate and it should be fine. Well worth the $165 invested and a nominal sum more to purchase the needed parts.(I actually like the unflattened one the best! It's leather looks to be in excellent shape! I wonder if the previous owner hadn't purchased the squished one with the intentions of using it's parts to restore the other.)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    From what I can see, they look fairly straight. I would advise, however, to use EXTREME Caution if you intend to "unflatten" the one piece, as the leather is Very fragile at this time and age and will Absolutely crack and split if not super careful. Do you have any shots of the insides of them? And, do you intend to restore them? The flattened one only needs the 2 cockardes and a replica chinstrap(period straps are almost unheard of to find and are usually found in crumbling condition). The other simply needs the same and the front plate and it should be fine. Well worth the $165 invested and a nominal sum more to purchase the needed parts.(I actually like the unflattened one the best! It's leather looks to be in excellent shape! I wonder if the previous owner hadn't purchased the squished one with the intentions of using it's parts to restore the other.)
    Yah I like the unflattened one the best as well and don't think they were meant to restore each other because I bought them from the daughter in law of the vet who brought them back. I'll post up some pictures of the interiors when I'm off the bus

All the best,
    Stefan

I bet the bus passengers gave you some interesting looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

As always, but I have take much weirder stuff on the bus.

All the best,
    Stefan

?

Here are pictures of the liners My two new pickelhaubesMy two new pickelhaubes

for something that is approaching 100 years old, that's pretty OK condition!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Yes it is in pretty good condition for the age, i was pretty impressed by it. Also how would go about unflattening the squished helmet? Luckily it is not "crispy" and still quite maleable. If someone could help me with that that would be great!

All the best,
    Stefan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast