Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naval wound badge , good or bad

Article about: Hi guys , iv had this for a few years would like to know if its good or bad , i think its bad , but know nothing about these ,cheers Raymond

Default Naval wound badge , good or bad

Hi guys , iv had this for a few years would like to know if its good or bad , i think its bad , but know nothing about these ,cheers Raymond
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Naval wound badge , good or bad   Naval wound badge , good or bad  

Naval wound badge , good or bad   Naval wound badge , good or bad  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Naval wound badge , good or bad
    P
    Many

Default Re: Naval wound badge , good or bad

Hi Raymond, these can be tricky to authenticate as they are well copied. However, I think you are correct and I would agree, this one is a fake. I would be unhappy with the pin, hinge, etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes....pin and hinge are not correct for this type of badge. Should be the thinner type of pin. The front also shows signs of reproduction. The crossguards on the swords don't look right and I don't like the way the swords cross either.
    Here's a pic of my example. I also have a silver one but have yet to find a real gold example.
    Hope this helps.....

Cheers!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Naval wound badge , good or bad   Naval wound badge , good or bad  

Naval wound badge , good or bad  

.....and here's my silver example. Somewhat tired and salty but these are hard to find. Another thing you'll notice is the pebbling on the background field on my examples.

Cheers!

Rob

Attached Images Attached Images Naval wound badge , good or bad 

Very interesting , thanks Ade and Rob , the pics certianly help with getting the right verdic , its of to the hang mans nouse for this one , cheers guys Raymond

?

I can see the differences here I think it's called a coke bottle fake because if the shape of thempin ?

Quote by ironcross1 View Post
    Hi guys , iv had this for a few years would like to know if its good or bad , i think its bad , but know nothing about these ,cheers Raymond
    Gents, five years on, and much learning/research and a change in direction of collecting for me..............I have the answer ! The wound badge member ironcross1 shows in post #1, is a post war (WW2) imperial veterans replacement award....... it is the "Assmann" designed Naval wound badge (different design features, handles/anchor top and less defined pebbling) and is made by that firm sometime in the 1950's-1960's, the rear hardware is pure St u L from their 1957 range of awards, infact the type of hardware used on both their first pattern EK I's and very early wound badges, coke bottle stylised pin and hinge block with small "c" catch.....it is known that Assmann used St u L parts for production of their 1957 replacement awards, until the 1970's, so why not on their Imperial range...Indeed it is nigh on impossible to tell wether a St u L mid production (1960 on) EK II is St u L or infact an Assmann produced item, as they are identical, the EK I versions only identifable by Assmanns stylised "A" on the rear of the backing plate as the parts came from St u L ! mind you an easy source as they were on the same street in Ludenschied !
    ..... so IMO ironcross1's naval wound badge is an original, albeit a modern veterans replacement.....all 57ers shown below.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Naval wound badge , good or bad  
    Attached Images Attached Images Naval wound badge , good or bad  Naval wound badge , good or bad  Naval wound badge , good or bad 
    Last edited by oradour; 07-18-2014 at 03:16 PM.

About the only thing I can add to this conversation.

A scan from my original 1939 St-L catalog.
    Too bad it does not show the reverse hardware.
    Attached Images Attached Images Naval wound badge , good or bad 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks for that Gregg ! has anyone a wartime or pre war Assmann catalogue ?
    You can clearly see the different design that St u L used in the above image.....the rear hardware I suspect would be close to the Imperial set up..........and not like the post war set ups.
    Prost ! Steve.

Best I can do at the moment--
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Naval wound badge , good or bad  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast