Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help - gas mask

Article about: Hello! Is this a german gas Mask authentic? Thanks

HPN
    ?

Default Need help - gas mask

Hello! Is this a german gas Mask authentic? ThanksNeed help - gas maskNeed help - gas maskNeed help - gas maskNeed help - gas mask

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help - gas mask
    P
    Many

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was a modern or otherwise fairly recent reproduction of a German M1917 gas mask. The whole thing appears too 'new' to be 100 years old. But it looks good, and is a nice displayable alternative to a genuine vintage mask.
    It could be a similar model to the M1917, made by a different manufacturer at a later date, but again, it doesn't look all that old.

B.B.

HPN
    ?

The brand AMADEO ROSSI is an arms factory. But now they only produce air guns. In the mask, it is written OFFERED BY AMADEO ROSSI - CAIXIAS. Caixias is a city here in Brazil where the Rossi acted a long time ago. They produced guns for the WW1. I think this is a German gas mask, with the mark of Rossi made in over the original marks. Maybe this explains why the mask is so new. What do you think? Thanks for the answer

HPN
    ?

One detail - I talked with some Rossi employees and they said Rossi never produced Gas masks for WW1, only guns.

It's the leather facepiece that stands out as too new to me. Everything else looks aged to some degree. The filter and canister could be period, but I'm no expert on First World War gas masks. World War II is more my forte, and even then my knowledge is very general.
    Hopefully somebody comes along who knows their First World War masks and can help you.

B.B.

Quote by HPN View Post
    One detail - I talked with some Rossi employees and they said Rossi never produced Gas masks for WW1, only guns.
    The more I look, I think the filter and canister are okay. The facepiece is almost definitely reproduction.

B.B.

HPN
    ?

I searched the internet for reproductions of ww1 gas mask and all the masks found are different. Here one example.Thanks for the chat, it was a pleasure.

Need help - gas mask

Quote by HPN View Post
    I searched the internet for reproductions of ww1 gas mask and all the masks found are different. Here one example.Thanks for the chat, it was a pleasure.

Need help - gas mask
    I may turn out to be completely wrong, so here's hoping! Have seen those ones for sale on the likes of eBay. Much lower quality than whatever it is that you have there. If it's a repro, it's a very accurate one.
    Glad I could at least try to help!

Regards, B.B.

HPN
    ?

Regards from Brazil, HPN

?

Is it an original Imperial M17 Gasmaske? I say NO. This is an odd one - the leather facemask portion looks new, without a doubt. The original M17 Ledermaske were heavily oiled (or contained oil) to stay supple, this has the appearance of fresh suede....still, I've never seen a repro like it. The canister appears ok at 1st glance, but the mesh on the end of the canister is not right for an M17. The gasmaske holder also seems OK at 1st glance, but the inside of the lid where the spare lenses were kept is incorrect/odd.

My guess is a totally reworked imperial (or inter-war Reichswehr era) M17 using some cleaned-up/rebranded original components or.......a contrived modern-ish mask for display purposes (more likely IMHO)

A quick pic of my example:

Regards

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help - gas mask  
    Last edited by Jg26; 07-12-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast