Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

need ID on this German medallion

Article about: is this a watch fob sort of thing ,any info/history would be greatly appreciated,,,Thanks in advance,,<Robert

Default need ID on this German medallion

is this a watch fob sort of thing ,any info/history would be greatly appreciated,,,Thanks in advance,,<Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture need ID on this German medallion   need ID on this German medallion  

Default Re: need ID on this German medallion

militarymania, it is an unofficial medal to commerate 25 years of the '3 Unter-Elassisches Infanterie-Regt Nr 138. ' formed 1st April 1887, garrisoned at Dobeln, in the Alsace region of the Imperial Germany (now part of France, land taken by Germany after the Franco-Prussian war 1870-71). Notice the Germanic spelling of Strasbourg, the capital of the region.This regiment was part of Army Corps XIX. These medals were issued regimentaly, but being unofficial could not be worn with official/state awards. I have examined/seen these types of medals on frack/medal bars as regulations were flaunted especially during the inter war period. During this period veterans often attached them to their official award bars together with veteran orginisation medals, and they were as you suggest used attached to a variety of objects, such as watch fobs etc. As for ribbons, generic national colours black/white/red or regimental colours, were often used. As a footnote, I.R. 138 was part of the 42nd Division within Army Corps XIX, and was forced to recruited mainly from the Rhine/Westphalia regions as there was not enough recruits within the German population in Alsacs-Lorrainne to fill the Division !
    Last edited by oradour; 04-24-2010 at 03:50 PM.

hi oradour,,,many thanks for this much needed info,,,what would this be worth?,,,thanks,,Robert

Robert, they are collectable, i personally dont have any, i would say here in the U.K./Europe, approx $40-60, the States, possibly a little less, but not much.