MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet

Article about: Hello Forum. A while ago i bought this M16 for an rather good price on ebay, it had its rivet holes filled up with some black stuff, that i fortunality could easily remove. It seems the helm

Default Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet

Hello Forum.

A while ago i bought this M16 for an rather good price on ebay, it had its rivet holes filled up with some black stuff, that i fortunality could easily remove.
    It seems the helmet is a semi-relic who has been overpainted three times, red (presumambly against the rust), grey and then green.
    The helmet has not been filled up, and i even rediscovered the Makers Mark and Size, so i think the helmet is restauration worthy.
    I just need advice on how to remove the Paint and what colours and techniques i would need to restore it.
    My goal would be a regulary issued M16 in the WW1 period.

Regards,
    Adravor
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet   Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet  

Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet   Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet  

Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet   Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Restauration tipps for an M16 Helmet
    P
    Many

A good start would be to obtain some Nitromors (or similar) paint remover and some white spirit to neutralise the paint stripper when it has done its job. Remove the bubbled paint with the wire wool soaked in copious amounts of white spirit and leave to dry. Then go over the helmet again with clean, dry wire wool (medium grade) and wipe down with a dry cloth. Wear gloves to avoid getting any grease on the shell - it will affect the paint. Then find yourself some suitable paint in the correct shade of green. Try and avoid using grey primer, because if you scratch the green, the primer is likely to show through. Some people put the helmet in the oven to bake the paint on, but it is not something that I have ever tried myself... so I cannot offer advice.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

At this point I don't think restoration will harm this helmet. I agree with HtMs directions. The only thing I would add is to was the helmet after stripping, to ensure all the stripper is off. After the washing wipe the helmet with something like prepsol or over paint prep degreaser.