Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New helmet and dont know much about decal and model

Article about: I just picked this up in a lot of german ww2 gear. I do not know much about the ww1 items so I figured I list it. I know this decal is faked a lot and it wasnt sold to me as it was real, the

These pictures are much better.

And now we wait......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New helmet and dont know much about decal and model
    P
    Many

FNG
    ?

yes finally got a good angle with the sunshine....
    just curious if its worth more then a standard helmet also. I Dont collect ww1 stuff

MAP
    ?

Always difficult to tell one way or the other with hand painted decals. I think you can get multiple opinions one way or the other. Like a camo, very hard to authenticate from photos.

I kind of like what I see. It appears to have some honest age and patina too it. I don't see any forced wear to it or bubbling of paint (from aging it with heat to soften it up and leave the fabric impression on it). It is also expertly painted. This guy had a very steady hand.

My one concern is the rust on the left side of the decal (bottom of the sideways photo). Not sure if the "long" rust stain goes under the decal. To my old eyes it appears to stop right at the decal and not under it. Others may disagree and I'm happy to be corrected, but even if it did go under it is not always a red flag to me. You have to judge the whole helmet and not one anomaly.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

FNG
    ?

Thank you Map for your thoughts. Im already ahead of you..I looked really good to make sure it wasnt under the paint. It stopped right at the border and I dont see any rust marks under the paint. Like I stated in my first post. This helmet is just a added bonus and if it comes out good Im happy which I already am.
    I can see the problems with painted decals ans camo helmets...its such a mind field and today was my first time I had a chance to look at it in the sun and I feel pretty good about it and it helps buying it and not hoping for anything if that makes sence

MAP
    ?

Well hopefully others agree with me. And great that it was thrown in as part of the lot. The visors are nice as well!

Those guys with more of a focus on these helmets can opine but I think these Reichwehr helmets are quite hard to find.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

FNG
    ?

yes the visors are nice but not in the best coindition but I like field use stuff. The two belts and this helmet and some patches that were not shown in the picture is a good deal. Specially if this "Reichwehr" is one of rare ones. I know its missing the back liner pin but what can you do..I like how it's named

Thanks John.

I agree with Michael - the decal does look good, but it is very hard to tell if it is period.
    I'd be interested to see what JimG has to say on this - he is very much in to his quirky helmets with unusual insignia such as this. I bet he has seen these before.
    Let's hope he sees this post.
    Nick

I like it too, for what I see!
    But still wait for better opinions.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

It looks OK to me... bearing in mind that these were hand painted, there will always be differences in size and style if you compare to other examples. The shield does add to the value of the helmet too. Check the back of the helmet to see if there are any traces of paint, they were often marked there too.

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast