Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newly acquired 1914 EK1 for review and comments please.

Article about: I just acquired this iron cross first class 1914, magnetic, maker marked "CD 800" (Carl Dillenius of Pforzheim, 800% silver per my research). I'm wondering if all agree with my res

Question Newly acquired 1914 EK1 for review and comments please.

I just acquired this iron cross first class 1914, magnetic, maker marked "CD 800" (Carl Dillenius of Pforzheim, 800% silver per my research).

I'm wondering if all agree with my research and opinion that it is indeed a wartime piece and not post-war or 3rd Reich time period produced piece.
    If not, please give me your reasons.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newly acquired 1914 EK1 for review and comments please.
    P
    Many

looks a straight one to me.

I agree that this is most likely a wartime cross.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

A nice one too.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hard to say what is "postwar", when EKs 1914 were awarded until 1924. In my opinion all that can be said with certainty is that this cross is not an awarded piece, because it is hallmarked for silver content. Awarded pieces were unmarked (for silver content) as they all were from silver.
    I would like to add that Imperial collectors don´t care so much about war/postwar production, as the TR collectors do. In TR collecting, war/postwar border is still (although IMO falsely) considered as border between original and crap. On contrary to TR, Imperial postwar private purchases are often more expensive than wartime awarded pieces. So, just relax, you have a nice genuine cross.
    Last edited by Miro; 04-23-2015 at 05:46 PM.

So no officially awarded pieces were marked for silber content? I didn't know that. I've seen knights crosses that had the "800" mark.

The Knights Cross is a whole different subject.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Danny Warlick View Post
    So no officially awarded pieces were marked for silber content? I didn't know that. I've seen knights crosses that had the "800" mark.
    As I already said, Imperial collecting is different than TR. If you will mix up TR habits with Imperial collecting you will experience many suprises. Just some most typical differences - in Imperial era, casting (of Iron cores of EKs) is welcomed sign of early cross. In TR era, casting is deemed as forgery, as all TR cores are already stamped. In Imperial era, silver is standard material of all award crosses, so there is no need to hallmark it. Only private purchases are hallmarked, to make difference between more expensive silver pieces and less expensive neusilber, or brass pieces. In TR era, only the highest awards - and not all of them - are from silver, so even award pieces had to be hallmarked to make difference between silver and neusilber cross.

Thank you Miro! Really good information! I appreciate it a lot!

Lightbulb Vaulted an individual purchased type only?

My research of this item keeps getting more interesting.
    From another forum I have learned that there is not much data to support vaulted crosses as official awarded pieces but rather personal purchases. One easily available source that actually accompanied the men to the front lines areas was an organization, the 'Deutsche Offizier Verein'.
    The DOV was an officer's association or co-operative. They were not manufacturors but did procure better quality military regalia for their members. Besides decorations there are various edged weapons marked with the 'Deutsche Offiziers Verein' logo. A similar organization was 'Warenhaus fur Armee und Marine, Berlin, also not a manufacturor, but a supplier.
    Here are some photos of their catalogue.
    Photo credit: Kay

I also noticed, in my research, a picture of the red baron wearing a vaulted iron cross 1st class which u found interesting.

And lastly, I found another maker that used CD as their mark as is noted in the DOV catalogue, as shown here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast