Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Not a relic, but...

Article about: Not exactly a relic, but I've found a place prepared to make a copy of MvR's jacket seen here: Here's what I think it is, and they'll put a fur-collar on it, £160. Oddly, the same jacket was

?

Default Not a relic, but...

Not exactly a relic, but I've found a place prepared to make a copy of MvR's jacket seen here:
    Not a relic, but...

Here's what I think it is, and they'll put a fur-collar on it, £160.
    Oddly, the same jacket was popular with TR navy guys some 20 years later.
    What are your thoughts?

Not a relic, but...

Default Re: Not a relic, but...

There are huge differences in cut between this modern jacket the Red Baron's:

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Where? I thought it looked very similar. Imagine the fur collar on it though, then the similarity is clearer.

Look at the original photo: this jacket has no slash pockets, no shoulder yoke, no straps to the cuffs, and a larger shaped collar with a tab to secure the closeure.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Yep agree with Ade, significant differences. Nice coat though.

?

Yes, significant differences, but it's about the closest I've seen so far without having one custom made.

If you like it, go for it!

?

I never got around to posting up the finished item, and while I got it out today to polish up the koppelschloss I thought I might as well post it up.
    I did wear it a few times over the winter and found it very warm.

Not a relic, but...

?

Is the buckle a reproduction? Otherwise, why would you polish it? Just curious, as most collectors would not polish a real period buckle. Years ago, I did some trading with a collector in England for some WWI British regimental badges. When I got them in, there was no age patina. The badges were good, but they had been polished to look like new. I sent them all back. I guess this is (or was) common practice for UK badge collectors, but I would rather have them look as they would have looked in the field, as opposed to the parade ground. Just a person preference, but I think one shared by many collectors these days.

CCMJR

?

Yes the koppelschloss is a repro, so no problems with keeping it polished.
    I wouldn't wear a genuine koppelschloss anyway, as it would just be too valuable to wear. I'd just be adding new wear and tear - and possible damage - to it.

I wouldn't say your experience was an indication of "most" collectors in the UK - you probably dealt with one person who didn't know anything about collecting and the preferred condition of said items. I see it daily on ebay - people selling genuine EKs without one iota of knowledge about them, such as not knowing about makers marks or where to find them.

However, I thank you for your comment - because it's made me look at the picture above again, and I can now see there are two (polished) studs to the left of the koppelschloss which look too bright and out of place. Going to have to maybe change them for black items to blend in with the belt.