Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Opinions on this 1914 RKF?

Article about: I just got this reichskriegsflagge on ebay (I know...) and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the markings and possible authenticity. I tried searching on my own but it turns out th

Default Opinions on this 1914 RKF?

I just got this reichskriegsflagge on ebay (I know...) and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the markings and possible authenticity. I tried searching on my own but it turns out there's not too much information out there about imperial German flag stampings. The seller allows returns for any reason so I'm not concerned about some kind of scam.

Anyway this flag is relatively small, at 55x100 cm. It's marked 1914 Helgoland. Would that be the dreadnought SMS Helgoland, or was the location Heligoland sometimes spelled like that? Also note that there's some light brown staining toward the tail end of the flag. The seller also had a larger 1917 Berlin flag which had only a few crude stampings, and worse staining along the end, which leads me to believe the flags were stored together for a while.

Hi,

I sent an email to the owner of the OLDFlAGSWANTED website. He is a member of one of
    the other forums that I belong to. Unfortunately his response was that this flag is a fake
    from the 1970s. He mentioned the lack of detail in the center design, the rope and toggle
    do not match period originals and the ink stamps are fake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on this 1914 RKF?  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

May I ask who was selling this? There are a few England-based militaria dealers of dubious character who put these fakes up on eBay at fairly regular intervals.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.... 'A Salford Pal: Pte Thomas Jay.'

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Hi,

I sent an email to the owner of the OLDFlAGSWANTED website. He is a member of one of
    the other forums that I belong to. Unfortunately his response was that this flag is a fake
    from the 1970s. He mentioned the lack of detail in the center design, the rope and toggle
    do not match period originals and the ink stamps are fake.
    Thank you very much. There's a big difference between the real ones and fake ones there. I'll just return it and get my money back.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    May I ask who was selling this? There are a few England-based militaria dealers of dubious character who put these fakes up on eBay at fairly regular intervals.
    It's someone called 1111destination in England. Right now his only listing is for a supposed balkenkreuz vehicle identification flag, but he's been listing batches of six or seven items at a time. If all his stuff is fake then I feel really bad for some others, especially whoever got that Ottoman flag for over $1,000. And if it's all fake then this would be the second fake item he's sold me.

Quote by pluto13 View Post
    Thank you very much. There's a big difference between the real ones and fake ones there. I'll just return it and get my money back.
    You are welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.