Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original Pickelhaube In A Sorry State

Article about: G'day All I've had this one sitting in the deep depths of my collection for years now and haven't asked any questions about it. Can anyone shed some info on it I understand it's missing quit

Default Original Pickelhaube In A Sorry State

G'day All

I've had this one sitting in the deep depths of my collection for years now and haven't asked any questions about it. Can anyone shed some info on it I understand it's missing quite a few fittings.
    Didn't pay much for it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original Pickelhaube In A Sorry State
    P
    Many

Default Re: Original Pickelhaube In A Sorry State

I don't collect these, but do have one on my shelves. When I got mine the skull was misshappen like yours. I bought a styrofoam head, and over a few months slowly fitted the piece onto the head. Now the shape is pretty true, and I didn't damage the leather doing it. There are original spikes available from time to time, and that would spruce it up a little. Prpbably a repro chinstrap would be the way to go for that component. Others can pipe in on how the address the damage to the rear visor. Regarding the eagle plate, it isn't the usual one that I have seen around. I do not know from which state this one hails, a little internet research would probably shed some light on that. Some of the helmets with the rarer plates can be very valuable indeed. Jim G.

This is a garde helmet.it is a period piece.the garde were like bodygarde to high ranking officers like Hindenberg.
    grenadier adler
    Last edited by cricketchris1944; 06-06-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks Jim & Chris,
    Chris, does this make it an uncommon type? maybe a silly question?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Thanks Jim & Chris,
    Chris, does this make it an uncommon type? maybe a silly question?
    it is a harder helmet to find.Very nice helmet

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    it is a harder helmet to find.Very nice helmet
    Thanks Chris

"Very nice helmet"! crap it's knackered,

only kidding
    This one really has been in the background and I haven't played with it for 10 years at least

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I don't collect these, but do have one on my shelves. When I got mine the skull was misshappen like yours. I bought a styrofoam head, and over a few months slowly fitted the piece onto the head. Now the shape is pretty true, and I didn't damage the leather doing it. There are original spikes available from time to time, and that would spruce it up a little. Prpbably a repro chinstrap would be the way to go for that component. Others can pipe in on how the address the damage to the rear visor. Regarding the eagle plate, it isn't the usual one that I have seen around. I do not know from which state this one hails, a little internet research would probably shed some light on that. Some of the helmets with the rarer plates can be very valuable indeed. Jim G.
    G'day Jim,

May I ask to see your example?

reneblacky, indeed a nice original untouched 'Pickelhaube' Model 1915, with grey phosphate fittings, first.... Never put the helm on a surface without support !..this causes stress on the front and rear visors, causing the thread to weaken on the front visor and helps to distort the rear visor, it may of contributed to the damage we see on the rear visor, naughty boy!....(i'll cease acting like a teacher know!)...best to use a tube of some sorts (a lowlly inner kitchen roll cardboard tube will do) and support the helm inside on the metal reinforcement disc below the spike assembly, I use 77mm shell caseings!...back to the helmet, it is indeed a 'Garde' helmet, the 'Wappen' badge is missing its 'Garde Star' from the centre (two holes where it once lived), and is as such rarer and more desirable, it requires parts that can be found on e-bay, the removable spike, cockades and chinstrap, I would, personally not polish, but dust, and add the missing parts, the removable spike on these helmets was designed to be removed as to alter the distinctive shape, so as not as conspicuous to allied eyes, and as such got lost ! it is quite acceptable to display without a spike (they are expensive!), even the June 1915 cover for this helmet was in two parts, helmet body and a seperate spike cover. The helmet can be marked as 'Garde' on inside rear visor, typical marking 'KBAG'. You can get the helmet back into shape quite easily, get a head form, polystyrene 'wig' holders are cheap, wrap in some coton/nylon (acids in the plastic can over time cause damage) and place helmet on, over a couple of weeks the helmet will return to its original shape. I show a photo of my 95/97 model Garde haube, restored to its former glory, with replacement 'haarbrush', being supported on a 77mm shell case.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Pickelhaube In A Sorry State  

Quote by oradour View Post
    reneblacky, indeed a nice original untouched 'Pickelhaube' Model 1915, with grey phosphate fittings, first.... Never put the helm on a surface without support !..this causes stress on the front and rear visors, causing the thread to weaken on the front visor and helps to distort the rear visor, it may of contributed to the damage we see on the rear visor, naughty boy!....(i'll cease acting like a teacher know!)...best to use a tube of some sorts (a lowlly inner kitchen roll cardboard tube will do) and support the helm inside on the metal reinforcement disc below the spike assembly, I use 77mm shell caseings!...back to the helmet, it is indeed a 'Garde' helmet, the 'Wappen' badge is missing its 'Garde Star' from the centre (two holes where it once lived), and is as such rarer and more desirable, it requires parts that can be found on e-bay, the removable spike, cockades and chinstrap, I would, personally not polish, but dust, and add the missing parts, the removable spike on these helmets was designed to be removed as to alter the distinctive shape, so as not as conspicuous to allied eyes, and as such got lost ! it is quite acceptable to display without a spike (they are expensive!), even the June 1915 cover for this helmet was in two parts, helmet body and a seperate spike cover. The helmet can be marked as 'Garde' on inside rear visor, typical marking 'KBAG'. You can get the helmet back into shape quite easily, get a head form, polystyrene 'wig' holders are cheap, wrap in some coton/nylon (acids in the plastic can over time cause damage) and place helmet on, over a couple of weeks the helmet will return to its original shape. I show a photo of my 95/97 model Garde haube, restored to its former glory, with replacement 'haarbrush', being supported on a 77mm shell case.
    Wow is that what it once looked like, well similar as to my not looking after my helmet I will now stand in the corner for the next 48 hours!
    From Jim's recommendation and yours, I have now placed it on a glass head.
    Thank you so much for your info

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Wow is that what it once looked like, well similar
    reneblacky, mine is the pre-war type model 1895/97 helm with bright brass and silver fittings, and sporting brass chinscales(chinstrap) some, usually elite regiments were allowed to wear a plume, Guards, a white plume, Infantry a black plume, (there were others, but i'll stick to Guards/infantry), the top of the spike unscrewed so that a plume holder (trichter) could replace it.Your helmet is the model 1915, all the fittings were 'subdued' the whole spike was removable, but not for a plume/holder (these were discontinued on this model), however for parades and back at the depot, Guard regts were allowed to wear brass/silver (depending on regiment) chinscales reverting back to the leather chinstrap at the front. Yours would look neat with brass chinscales fitted !.. and it would be correct to do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast