Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pickelhaube Markings

Article about: Hello everyone, I purchased my first Pickelhaube a few weeks ago from a very well respected dealer and am very happy with it. It is an EM mans Prussian Pickelhaube. It has a production stamp

Default Pickelhaube Markings

Hello everyone,

I purchased my first Pickelhaube a few weeks ago from a very well respected dealer and am very happy with it. It is an EM mans Prussian Pickelhaube. It has a production stamp but it is very hard to read. There is a 35 written on the inside of the rear guard and I am not sure what this signifies. Inside what appears to be 1815 is printed in ink (I would have thought it should have said 1915). It is a size 55.

What intrigues me most is the yellow markings which I was told by the dealer may be a unit marking. I would be interested to know if anyone has come across the yellow marking previously and what they may signify.

Thank you,
    Andrew

Pickelhaube MarkingsPickelhaube MarkingsPickelhaube MarkingsPickelhaube MarkingsPickelhaube MarkingsPickelhaube MarkingsPickelhaube Markings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pickelhaube Markings
    P
    Many

By member AndyM35:
    I purchased my first Pickelhaube a few weeks ago from a very well respected dealer and am very happy with it. It is an EM mans Prussian Pickelhaube. It has a production stamp but it is very hard to read. There is a 35 written on the inside of the rear guard and I am not sure what this signifies. Inside what appears to be 1815 is printed in ink (I would have thought it should have said 1915). It is a size 55.

What intrigues me most is the yellow markings which I was told by the dealer may be a unit marking. I would be interested to know if anyone has come across the yellow marking previously and what they may signify.
    Hi Andrew,

Congratulations, you picked a winner, a very nice looking M15 Prussian enlisted pattern helmet.

The yellow markings are for the "Bekleidungsamt Armee Korp" or Clothing Office/Depot that issued this helmet. They actually are written: "B. A. VIII" with an illegible date below it, most likely 1915. I see the yellow Armee Korp Clothing Depot issue stamps from time to time on these helmets. In my opinion I see the black ink stamped Clothing Depot markings far more often than I see these yellow paint markings as on your helmet. The Headquarters for Army Korp VIII was in Coblenz, and issued clothing & helmets for the Kingdom of Prussia which is good to see on your helmet.

I can't quite make out the 2nd digit on the 1915 date inside your helmet. I wouldn't be worried that they incorrectly stamped your helmet "1815" instead of 1915. Sometimes these numbers are simply hard to read. I struggle at times with reading lightly or poorly stamped Regiment markings. The curvature of the numbers "3", "6", "8", "9" are hard to distinguish at times if they have been poorly or lightly stamped and show only a portion of the number. That's probably the case with your helmet.

Again, congratulations with the addition of this very nice, complete, and un-messed with Prussian M15 helmet to your collection, and thanks for posting it for us to see!

Best Regards,

Alan

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I purchased my first Pickelhaube a few weeks ago
    Oh dear...that will be only the start! Now you need an officer 'haube, a kubel, a lobstertail, probably a JZP, then something with a paradebusch. It goes on and on!

Thank you very much Alan for your reply and the very interesting information. You've certainly raised some interesting points for me to research. I purchased it from Bill Shea and as a first timer was very pleased with their service. I began collecting militaria about 15 years ago but a shortage of money meant that I lost interest. However, a work colleague who'd travelled to The Somme last year brought me back some shrapnel balls and another work colleague brought back a bullet shell from Gallipoli. This combined with my friends militaria spending spree piqued my interest once more. So I guess I'm going to be poor again

I've been lusting over a camo M16/17 for about 18 years so maybe that will be next on my list

That's a great first helmet.
    Like you, I work with a very small budget. I usually only pick up one
    maybe two items a year. So I am patient. I will wait until that one thing
    comes along that I just have to have and I let the other stuff slip buy.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Yes, sometimes the longer wait makes it even better. And there is nothing better than going to the Post Office to pick up that parcel!

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I've been lusting over a camo M16/17 for about 18 years so maybe that will be next on my list
    A very good choice to accompany your 'haube!

Pickelhaube Markings

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    A very good choice to accompany your 'haube!

Pickelhaube Markings
    or

- - ------- - -

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pickelhaube Markings  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Haha, 'touche!'

Not that this is a competition, but may I raise you?

Pickelhaube Markings Pickelhaube Markings

That's it for my pickelhaube collection at the moment. I've got an FAR Officer on hold right now while I try to find a job in order to pay for the damn thing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast