Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?

Article about: Hello, I posted this pickelhaube that I got off of ebay for under \\$300. I could only post the ebay pics. I got it in the mail today. I stripped it down and took photos. Can you please tell m

Default Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?

Hello,
    I posted this pickelhaube that I got off of ebay for under $300.
    I could only post the ebay pics.
    I got it in the mail today.
    I stripped it down and took photos.
    Can you please tell me what model pickelhaube do I have?
    Also, are all the parts correct?
    If not, what parts are NOT correct?
    I took Pecards leather conditioner to the black leather and it came up awesome.
    I know you should not "restore" these helmets.
    That being said, leather naturally will break down over time.
    Pecards will help to slow that process and replenish the leather so that is why I used it.
    I did not clean any parts of the helmet.
    Please help.
    Thank you in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?   Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?  

Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?   Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?
    P
    Many

more photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?   Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?  

Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?   Pickelhaube update - please help - what do i have here?  

more

These are the ebay photos

So you have one cockade? ( the National one ) and no chinstrap?
    Also I like the removable spike ( maybe this was a private purchase officer's? )
    Great score for a great price!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Looks like someone painted part of the wappen and spike gold to simulate brass.
    Last edited by relicz; 03-17-2015 at 03:17 AM.
    Regards,
    John

I was thinking that too.
    Also the front lip of the visor.
    It looks to me like the paint was done a long time ago but I cant say for sure.
    Should I strip the paint off?
    I didnt want to do anything until I got more feedback from you guys on the forum.

I would not strip off the gold. It looks to have good age to it. The Pecard's did wonders for the leather-very well done. From the flaking on the side, it needed treatment to stop further loss. Did you replace the wappen plugs? Usually, I've seen leather, but sometimes wood as well. Not that it matters in any case, as they look just fine.
    Now you just need to get that rear visor stitched and stabilized, toss on a cockard and a nice aged repro chin strap, and you'll be all set. (Blasphemy, I know, but personally, I'd be tempted to shoe polish the flaked area, but that's just Me! lol)
    At any rate, it's looking great! What a nice piece to find in the rough and save!

(Hang on to the orphaned chinstrap hook, btw-you never know when you or someone might need one! Originals aren't easy to come by!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

M1895 enlisted mans Prueßen pickelhaube to IR33. Not an officers.

for reference; German Pickelhaube Spiked Helmet Evolution Guide

M1895 enlisted mans Prueßen pickelhaube to IR33. Not an officers.

DougB if it is a M1895 (and I do not doubt you) how do you account for the silver parts on my pickelhaube?
    It looks like someone (a very long time ago) painted the spike and eagle gold.
    And also the rim around the visor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast