Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is this picklehaube original?

Article about: It doesn't matter that a liner may have been replaced in a helmet. The important thing is when it was replaced that counts!

If I nitpicked like that I wouldn't have a collection at all...
    cheers, Glenn

I would say that the towel is for certain post-war manufacture...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

And that is why "Adler" is the go to guy when it comes to huabes and such. His opinions are valued on multiple forums.

Quote by IHaveTrueGrit View Post
    I would like authenticity opinions please!
    He asked.

All of those points can affect the value of the helmet.
    These points could be made clear to the seller and possibly
    help reduce the purchase price or help a potential buyer
    from getting burned.

I would want to know.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

If I nitpicked like that I wouldn't have a collection at all...
    Sorry Glenn, if that's nitpicking I don't know anymore. It's just how I see this helmet... a parts helmet. If someone wants this in his collection and want to think it's an original, then he would be wrong imo, because a helmet would have never been worn in this configuration and thus it's not original. But that's only my two cents of course...

He asked.

All of those points can affect the value of the helmet.
    These points could be made clear to the seller and possibly
    help reduce the purchase price or help a potential buyer
    from getting burned.

I would want to know.
    Of course he asked and that's why I wanted to tell him what this helmet is about. I guess we all have to work for our hard earned money... So we want to spend it only on the right stuff? Well, I think this helmet would not be a good investment, the value is what the parts seperately are worth...

Adler

PS I'm not sure about the towel ...

Regardless of its faults - it is still better than owning a repro. If the price is good it is worth restoring to a presentable display piece. Adler points out that all the metal fittings are from an officers helmet, and yet the leather is for an enlisted man. So what? Now I don't possess a crystal ball, so I have no way of knowing when the metal fittings were transferred to the O/R's helmet. Maybe it was done in the great war by some German officer after his own helmet became damaged. Or maybe (and more likely) it was done in recent years by some collector. But does it really matter? The important thing is that these items have been put to good use instead of being cast aside. I'm sure most of us collectors have items which are not totally 100% original and carry some replacement parts.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Not trying to be contentious, but I do know that as for myself, I only collect purely original items. If it is a put together piece, that is all it will ever be, and the value for possible future resale would be dramatically lowered. One has only to look at daggers, for example-their parts may be all original, but if they were not assembled and used prior to 1945, they are reduced to the status of being a "Parts Dagger" with improper and unmatched final fittings, etc. They carry no History to them. One may as well have a replica. Uniforms are the same. Collectors always want an unmessed with period uniform rather than one assembled by a post war collector who used period insignias and fittings.
    William

Certain items will always be 'mixed.' Take for example firearms. When battlefields were cleared the weapons were gathered and sent back to depot for repair and re-issue - and now with miss-matching parts. The same applies to much equipment which was recovered after battle. it wasn't scrapped, it was repaired and re-issued. it didn't matter if it was uniform, helmet or boot, it wasn't wasted. It is indeed nice to have artefacts which are as issued - and I have many. But I also have items which have been repaired and re-issued, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I would agree that daggers made up from parts hold little value to the serious collector, but that doesn't apply to everything. Just how many historical aircraft and vehicles are totally 100% original William?
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Adler is right!
    Glenn too!
    btw i am looking for a good blade on a WWII KM dagger that has a WH blade....;-)....from a house clearence...
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Absolutely, Harry-but in general helmets are one of those things that collectors are fairly picky about. How many times have you seen steel helmets on the forum here being criticized for replaced chinstraps or messed with liners? Mechanical things like vehicles etc-certainly you can expect them to have replaced parts-usually many so. But helmets? There's where many a collector draws the line and demands original or nothing. On a Pickelhaub, it's sometimes the norm these days to see replaced leather chinstraps, as it's quite often unavoidable with the nature of leather being what it is over 100 years old, but the rest? Then you're just building a Frankenstein that Looks sort of like the original but really isn't. And, the values reflect this. Guns, as you mentioned are another thing altogether. True, they were quite often field mixed, but then again, look at the prices of an all matching numbers Mauser 98K as opposed to a mismatched. One is considered collectable and one is considered just a shooter.
    William

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast