Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please identify 1914 WWI Photo of Relative

Article about: Soldier on the right with pipe. Any info on his uniform or the context greatly appreciated. He seems to be in a military hospital.

Default Please identify 1914 WWI Photo of Relative

Please identify 1914 WWI Photo of Relative
    Soldier on the right with pipe. Any info on his uniform or the context greatly appreciated. He seems to be in a military hospital.

MAP
    ?

Great photo and welcome to the forum. I can't help (it would only be a guess). But give it a bit of time and I'm sure someone will be around to help.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Well by going with the Picklehaube on the table. They are Prussian infantry. But wait until our expert translators chime in and read what is said on the signs.

Given the red cross armbands some wear. It could be a field hospital or convalescent facility in the rear.

Cool picture

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hello. His cap appears to be a Prussian EM/NCO hat. Without a band color to go off of I would think it would be difficult to assign him with a specific designation. Just a question, seeing as how he pictured with personages from the medical branch is it possible he was in that part of the military? Usually soldiers pictured in hospital are shown in stages of convalescence thats why I ask. Andreas or someone else fluent in German may be able to shed some light on the specifics when the writing is translated. Here's an image of said cap from collectors guild I'm basing my assumption on. And a image of a typical German WW1 hospital picture. Hope you get a conclusive answer to your question. Best regards and welcome to the forum.

Brian

The Collector's GuildPlease identify 1914 WWI Photo of RelativePlease identify 1914 WWI Photo of Relative

?

'Zur erinnerung an zum anfang(jahr)?
    im kriegslazarett Dillingen 1914'.

'Memory of the beginning of the year in the fieldhospital Dillingen, 1914.'

I think thats what it says on the large sign, however I cant 'decipher' what the smaller sign says.
    If you do not already speculate on his choice of uniform, my speculation would be that he's part of the staff there. If not medical staff it'd be some kind of guarding staff because he isnt wearing any white hospital clothing for the people that were actually war-wounded.

Regards,
    Bas

Thank you for responses. Though my Great Grandfather looks happy in the photo, I do know that he ended service in WW1 due to injury. He was not in the medical branch; he was a soldier. I hope that this helps.

?

The other thing that would help in dating/info which would be if it was in color Brass/steel wappen/rim and piping of the visors like Brian has mentioned. We will never know. But still a very cool pic and hopefully one of the experts of the German language will chime in and say what is written on those sign's and solve the riddle.

In the end ,Its still a killer pic

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by frankenmuth View Post
    Thank you for responses. Though my Great Grandfather looks happy in the photo, I do know that he ended service in WW1 due to injury. He was not in the medical branch; he was a soldier. I hope that this helps.
    Then that pic is most definitely very cool if that is your GGF in that photo. That right there is a family keep sake to be passed down to the GGGF's,GGGGF's children.

Its all about Family. No matter what!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 07-23-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Quote by Gimmie View Post
    'Zur erinnerung an zum anfang(jahr)?
    im kriegslazarett Dillingen 1914'.

'Memory of the beginning of the year in the fieldhospital Dillingen, 1914.'
    Almost. It's "... an den Aufenthalt..." ["...of the stay..."].

The small sign has the motto "Für Ehr' u. [= und] Pflicht bis Herz u. [= und] Klinge bricht!" ["For duty and honor til heart and blade break!".]
    Last edited by HPL2008; 07-23-2017 at 09:25 AM.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Almost. It's "... an den Aufenthalt..." ["...of the stay..."].

The small sign has the motto "Für Ehr' u. [= und] Pflicht bis Herz u. [= und] Klinge bricht!" ["For duty and honor til heart and blade break!".]
    Explains why hes wearing his full uniform. Thanks for the correction, was really not sure about that part!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast