Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Please Identify Wood Carved Eagle

Article about: Hey Everyone, Long time no post, I found this interesting item in a antique store and was wondering if anyone could identify it for me. Its about 12 inches tall and looks to have an original

Default Please Identify Wood Carved Eagle

Hey Everyone,

Long time no post,
    I found this interesting item in a antique store and was wondering if anyone could identify it for me. Its about 12 inches tall and looks to have an original coat of gold paint. It has a stylized FW on the chest. It is carved from a lighter wood and weighs no more than 2 lbs. The wings are carved separately and and fitted in the eagles back. There are no maker marks of any kind. There does appear to have some sort of screw holes in the back. There is a sort of picture hook holding it up now which is obviously new. Please let me know what you think or if I should buy it for the price they want 375$ as seen on the tag.

Thanks kindly

Jess
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please Identify Wood Carved Eagle  

Default Re: Please Identify Wood Carved Eagle

Hi jesshaedrich , in my opinion, for what its worth !..the motif on the eagles chest is a 'Namenzuge' or Regimental cypher, and looks to represent a ' Grenadier Regiment' however its either the quality of my eyesight or the photo, i cannot make out the fine detail, if i am correct there should a number under the cypher to denote which specific Regiment (unless the piece is a 'generic' produced item). It is probably a item of decoration from a mess room or command suite, and probably would be be a pre-war item. A very nice piece that would grace any Imperial collection. By the way...it appears to have lost part of its sceptre and the very top of its crown, a small cross motif. Hope that helps.

thanks oradour,

i might just pick it up this weekend. Ive been looking around and still cant find anything like it. Hopefully it is still there when i go to get it.

Thanks kindly,
    Jesse

A very nice piece , i think i would ring them and tell them put it on hold , or get there quick , you wont see this sort of piece for sale every day , cheers Raymond

If you give me the store name and phone number, I'll make sure that it is placed on hold...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    If you give me the store name and phone number, I'll make sure that it is placed on hold...