Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Pour le Merite fake spotted, buyer beware

Article about: I was about to bid on an EK1 from this gentleman, until I noticed he also had a Pour le Merite - Wagner - and the bidding was a heck of a lot less than 10,000 Euros! Nowhere does he say any

?

Default Pour le Merite Wagner fake spotted, buyer beware

I was about to bid on an EK1 from this gentleman, until I noticed he also had a Pour le Merite - Wagner - and the bidding was a heck of a lot less than 10,000 Euros!

Nowhere does he say any of his items are repros but after reading on this forum about how to spot a PLM fake, I've given this guy a very wide berth. . All I can say is Thank You for the PLM threads here, else I may have parted with money.
    WW1 WWI Imperial Prussian German Wagner Berlin Blue Max Pour Le Merite Germany | eBay
    WW1 WWI Imperial German Prussian W Pour Le Merite Blue Max 800 Oakleaves Oakleaf | eBay

I already had alarm bells when his EK1 was marked 1 "for Deschler" when Deschler should be marked DSM.
    Scandalous. Doesn't take much to type "repro" in the advert.
    Last edited by NickM; 04-22-2012 at 07:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pour le Merite fake spotted, buyer beware
    P
    Many

Default Re: Pour le Merite Wagner fake spotted, buyer beware

NOTHING this guy has for sale is authentic.

Also---There are NO original ww1 Iron Crosses with a Deschler mark.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Default Re: Pour le Merite fake spotted, buyer beware

I know. But because he doesn't call any of it reproductions, it would catch the unwary out. His Deschler-marked EK1 almost got me.

Had they been unmarked I would have taken them as repros, but because he adds maker marks it makes it easy to get caught out unless you really know what to look for.

It's good something about this cross spooked you. Ebay is a wonderful
    place to learn about fakes.

I am adding a picture of the cross in question.
    This particular fake has been making the rounds for a couple years now.
    It is really easy to spot because of the pumpkin shaped crown . That's why
    it is known as "The Pumpkin crown fake" They are solid, one piece and non-magnetic.
    Almost all do not have the crown or "W" painted however many sellers have taken to
    painting the details and also aging the cross with fake patina and paint damage.
    There are also a variety of different makers marks and attachment methods used.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pour le Merite fake spotted, buyer beware  
    gregM

myself around.

This is fellow requires a public flogging ! he is just a totally dishonest scumbag ! all the crap he sells is Chinese reproduction...but plenty buy from him ! supply and demand ? I urge everybody to avoid this rogue like the plague.......
    Prost ! Steve.

Here are some more examples----
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pour le Merite fake spotted, buyer beware  
    Attached Images Attached Images Pour le Merite fake spotted, buyer beware 
    gregM

myself around.

?

The only reason the cross spooked me was its being quoted as a Deschler and I could only find Deschler described as having DSM. I was at the point of thinking was it a rarity and almost ready to bid on it. Then I saw his PLM with dodgy Wagner mark, and only smelled a rat after I came on here and looked at the Wagner PLM thread.
    Long and short, if I hadn't been on here the chances are I'd have been down money.

I can see why there is a market for repros - the prices of EK1s are a bit steep for me, so I invested in a repro EK1 from a seller in Chile. No problem with that, but at least I'm not under the illusion that it's something it isn't.

Anyway I've reported mr fake-plm-man to ebay for not describing his products as repros.
    I can't thank this forum enough for the wealth of advice and help for new collectors.
    Is it worth having a sticky showing what to look for on genuine EKs, and showing the signs of common fakes?

Nick,
    Just check out these two threads-----
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...ection-136842/

and

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...rial-eks-8822/

Almost every common and many not so common Ek variation is here.
    gregM

myself around.