Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Proper method to preserve and/or restore a helmet liner and chin strap

Article about: I have a question about the proper method to preserve or restore the helmet liner, especially the 'pillows', and chin strap of a German WW1 M16 helmet (chin strap has fragmented) and a pre o

Default Proper method to preserve and/or restore a helmet liner and chin strap

I have a question about the proper method to preserve or restore the helmet liner, especially the 'pillows', and chin strap of a German WW1 M16 helmet (chin strap has fragmented) and a pre or WW2 Finnish Austrian M17 helmet liner and leather Finnish chin strap.

Thanks,
    dastier

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Proper method to preserve and/or restore a helmet liner and chin strap
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Proper method to preserve and/or restore a helmet liner and chin strap

The best thing you can do is nothing. I dont really know of any way to protect the leather, but messing around with it can certainly hurt it. So I would just leave it alone.

Default Re: Proper method to preserve and/or restore a helmet liner and chin strap

Yes, leave it. Time takes its toll on leather, just a fact of life. Best thing to do is keep it in a stable, neutral temperature environment out of direct sunlight. Collectors prefer nothing be done rather than do some thing that makes it look unnatural.

Don't try to restore it... Leave it as found, and do not under any circumstances put it under any major stress
    E.g. putting it on a "helmet stand" in the shape of a head etc., that put a substantial amount of pressure on the old leather.

When that has been said, I use leather oil to re-condition leather. It works wonders on old brittle leather.
    Keep it out of sunlight, and the room must not be to humid or to dry. Temperatures are best kept at a constant neutral level.

For the most part the advice given at the following link is the best way to go:

Preservation & Cleaning of Antique Headgear

There is almost nothing that can be done to help restore or soften leather. The only product used by conservators regularly on leather is cellugel.

Cellugel | University Products

This only gets rid of red rot.

I would not recommend any use of things like Pecard, Lexol, Saddle soap, Neats foot oil etc.

As for a helmet ling make sure it is supported or tearing will get worse (See page 4 of Display in the first link.

For a broken or cracking chinstrap if you want to display I have seen the use of acid free paper form being uses and then lightly attached to the strap on the back side and --never glued. It wont be 1000% indivisible.

Take a look at Tony Schnurr's website in the first link.

Joe Sweeney