Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Prussian Kreig Verdienst medal

Article about: I would like to understand the difference between the Kreigs Verdienst medal and the Kreiger Verdienst medal ??

Default Prussian Kreig Verdienst medal

I would like to understand the difference between the Kreigs Verdienst medal and the Kreiger Verdienst medal ??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bosungus; 04-05-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: add images

Default Re: Prussian Kreig Verdienst medal

Are the fronts identical?
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Yes, I beleive they are the same.

Bosungus, no they are not... 2 different medals, ' Kriegs Verdienst ' is the 2nd class Military honour medal and the other, ' Kriegers Verdienst ' is the Warriors medal of merit, both share the same front design and are hung on 1914 2nd class Iron Cross ribbon.
    Last edited by oradour; 04-06-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks,

What I am interested in is in how they differ. Is one award higher than another, or officer vs enlisted and so on. Is it a combat award.
    Is one rarer than the other?.
    Thanks

Bosungus, my understanding is that , the 2nd class military honour medal ' Kriegs Verdienst ', can be awarded to civilians and military, where as the Warriors medal of merit ' Kriegers Verdienst ' is military, awarded for merit in the face of the enemy. Is one judged higher than the other ? equal IMO ...in price, they are both not common place, but not rare...approx £100 from a dealer.

Thanks oradour for the information.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Bosungus, no they are not... 2 different medals, ' Kriegs Verdienst ' is the 2nd class Military honour medal and the other, ' Kriegers Verdienst ' is the Warriors medal of merit, both share the same front design and are hung on 1914 2nd class Iron Cross ribbon.
    Great information. I learned something new today
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Makes perfect sense, once I thought about it !
    "War Service' vs "Warriors Service", roughly.

Thanks, oradour !!

Regards, Steve.

Gentlemen, its worth mentioning here that this isnt the only Imperial medal that at first glance mirrors another medal. The Prussian Military Merit Cross, the ' Pour Le Merite ' for NCO's, a golden coloured cross, shown in photo 1 and 2 , has a twin, 'the Military Honour Cross ' 1st class, a silver coloured cross, as in photo 3 and 4. Both are identical except for colour, (and early in the war the Merit Cross was silver !)..this is because they are made from the same tooling/die. The Merit Cross is heavily faked....one such fake is to 'gild' a genuine Honour Cross and pass it off as a Merit Cross !.....however what the fakers apparantly dont know is that the Honour Cross is twice as scarce/rare as the Merit Cross ! 917 opposed to 1770 issued respectivly....what a mistaka to maka !!