Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille of 1898

Article about: I thought a thread on the Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille [Red Cross Medal] of 1898 could be of interest. The Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille was instituted on 1 Oct. 1898 by Wilhelm II, King of P

The trapezoid mounted bar is indeed rare and very nice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille of 1898
    P
    Many

A very interesting thread.

However, I find how the medals and the apparent quality of the ribbons changed as the war progressed disheartening somehow.

Thank you so much for posting.

Just in the mail, here is another new purchase; not of the decoration itself, but a photograph showing it in wear. I don't actually collect photographs, but occasionally, if I happen to like a picture and it is both relevant to my collecting interests and offered for the right price, I can't resist. This one was such a case:

Portrayed with his grandchild on 2 August 1930 (it says so on the reverse), here is a a proud veteran member of the German Red Cross, who was decorated with both the 2nd and 3rd Class of the Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille:

Since this is quite a nice uniform study, let me add two close-ups.

Here is a better view of the medal bar. The decoration left of the two RKMs is from the Herzogtum Braunschweig [Duchy of Brunswick]: It is the Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse am Nichtkämpferband [War Merit Cross 2nd Class on the ribbon for non-combatants] instituted in 1914 (and not to be confused with the Third Reich KVK of 1939).

Partially obscured here, the wording around the Red Cross symbol on his armband says "Freiw. [= Freiwillige] Sanitäts-Kolonne vom Roten Kreuz" [Volunteer Medical Unit of the German Red Cross]. Unfortunately, the unit's location given at the bottom is lost in the armband's folds.

Close-up of the lower sleeve. What could be mistaken for a single large triangle-shaped insigne actually consists of different badges: The upwards-pointing single chevron is the duty-position insignia for a Gruppenführer [Group Leader]. Sewn below this are longevity stripes signifying the wearer's length of service, in this case, two 10 mm tress bars for 25 years:

(At this point, allow me a slightly off-topic remark, hoping it doesn't sound like pathos. Having served as a German Red Cross volunteer for more than 15 years myself, I cannot help but think of the men I see in old Red Cross photographs as comrades of sorts.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 09-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Here is a new acquisition with which I am very pleased. Recently purchased from Sascha Wöschler, it's a grouping that apparently belonged to a Prussian WW 1-era Red Cross nurse. (Unfortunately, nothing is known about the original wearer of these decorations.)

First, a view of the whole grouping:

Now for more detailed views of the individual pieces, on which I will elaborate a little.

First, the Rote-Kreuz-Medaille II. Klasse. This is actually a rare piece. It's the final model of this medal, manufactured by the Oertel company of Berlin and made from silver-plated Tombak (rather than the genuine silver from which earlier pieces by the Berlin Mint). Oertel was only commissioned to manufacture these medals in the post-WW1 period and made only 1,020 pieces between 3 February and 13 May 1921:

The Rote-Kreuz-Medaille III. Klasse. This, too, is the final model, made from a poor-quality zinc-based "war metal" alloy also known as "Ansonit" from 1917 - 1921. The medal has traces of "white rust", which is very common for medals made of this type of material:

I have to say, this is my personal favorite piece in this grouping. A miniature ladies' bow combining the 2nd and 3rd class medals with the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer, mounted in a pleasing, but rather unusual "triangular" configuration:

Two ribbon bars representing the 2nd and 3rd Class medals. Both are made of 15 mm wide ribbon:

Three bits of "leftover" 31 medal ribbon:

And finally, the unmounted 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer with a length of ribbon. Maker's mark is R.V. [for Reichsverband] 1, Pforzheim:

Andreus, Outstanding collection , professionally presented...and the photography awesome.............Dave H

Just in, here is my most recent acquisition, a three-place ladies' bow that unites the third and second class of the Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille with an Austrian equivalent:

The third decoration is the Bronzene Ehrenmedaille vom Roten Kreuz mit der Kriegsdekoration. [Bronze Medal of Honor of the Red Cross with the War Decoration.]

The Austrian Ehrenzeichen für Verdienste um das Rote Kreuz [Decoration for Merits in the Interest of the Red Cross] was instituted by Emperor Franz Josef I on 17th August 1914 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Geneva Convention. It was awarded in four classes with an associated medal in two classes (silver and bronze).

The obverse of the bronze and silver medal showed two angels holding a Red Cross shield with a shining star above and the text "PATRIAE AC HUMANITATE" [FATHERLAND AND HUMANITY] below them. The reverse showed the years "1864/1914"; i.e. the years of the signing of the Geneva Convention and of the medals' institution.
    Like a number of other Austrian decorations it could be awarded with the so-called Kriegsdekoration [War Decoration] if awarded for war-related achievements/merit. This consisted of a green wreath of oak- and laurel leaves. (Medals without the KD had a proportionately larger obverse design and a simple, raised border on the obverse and reverse sides.)

Very nice additions my friend. These awards are extremely attractive.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Very nicely presented thread
    I have never paid much attention to the Red Cross
    medals as the only ones I have seen in person have
    been the very poor quality ones.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Just in, another very neat little item. Here is a miniature medal bar, again combining the Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille III. Klasse with the Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer.

Obverse and reverse view:

Two scale reference shots to illustrate the quality of the details in relation to the size of item. (Ribbon width and medal diameter are both 15 mm.) :

It's been a while, but here is a humble new addition; another 15 mm miniature medal, worn from a chain. Some kind of gray paint was applied to the medal and has partially come off again. I will leave it as it is:

A closer look at the obverse and reverse:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast