Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question? Bavarian 15th Light Foot Arty Uniform

Article about: I acquired this group several years ago. I believe it belonged to a Captain in the Bavarian 15th Light Foot Artillery. The tunic is a M-1910, modified in 1915. Black trim on collar and cuffs

Default Question? Bavarian 15th Light Foot Arty Uniform

I acquired this group several years ago. I believe it belonged to a Captain in the Bavarian 15th Light Foot Artillery. The tunic is a M-1910, modified in 1915. Black trim on collar and cuffs and red trim on the front of the tunic and rear skirt. Bavarian buttons. Bavarian shoulder straps. He had been awarded the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class, Bavarian Merit Cross, Hindenburg Cross and Saxon Award. I don't have a name on him. My main question is why does this tunic still retain the apple green collar? I have read that the Bavarians did not go with the green collar when changes came about in 1915 but remained with the gray collar. I have also read that this style cuff was limited to the Light Foot Artillery troops. In addition is it possible to trace this officer by the type awards? With all the expertise on this forum I am sure that you guys can clear all this up for me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question? Bavarian 15th Light Foot Arty Uniform   Question? Bavarian 15th Light Foot Arty Uniform  

Question? Bavarian 15th Light Foot Arty Uniform  

Default Re: Question? Bavarian 15th Light Foot Arty Uniform

No replies...interesting...

Major,

I may be incorrect, but I do not think an ID is possible with this combination of awards.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    No replies...interesting...

Major,

I may be incorrect, but I do not think an ID is possible with this combination of awards.
    Steve,
    Several years ago I had an authority on Imperial Germany tell me that his records indicated that there were approximately 14 officers with this particular medal configuration. However he could not narrow it down past that. I asked him if there were any of the 14 that he could identify that were Arty officers, but got no reply and have long since lost that contact.
    Terry

hawk3370, I seem to have missed this thread....your tunic is indeed an Model 1907/10, which seems to have had the original collar replaced or recovered in green material, ('Abzeichentuch' also known as 'Resedagrun') probably post 1915 to emulate the new M15 Feldbluse, although against regulations this officer probably flouted them in favour of being 'the height of fashion' , I suspect just to be different/personal taste, remember adding breast pockets was strictly against regulations but it was still done !..... Your tunic is of Hauptmann rank (Captain) but is not 'Light Foot Artillery' but simply Foot Artillery, (there was no 'light' foot artillery) Brandenburg cuffs, black velvet piping to cuffs and collar, white underlay to shoulderstraps, = Foot Artillery. The '15' in arabic numbers is not for 15th Regiment, as there were only three Bavarian Foot Artillery Regiments. IMO they represent a Battalion number, late in the war the Foot Artillery were measured in Battalions (like the Pioneers) the expanded Bavarian regiments had 17 Battalions. So to sum up, IMO this is a Bavarian Hauptmanns tunic of the 15th Battalion of Foot Artillery.As far as tracing the officer through his decorations/awards, i think this is not possible, unless you have a name.

[QUOTE=oradour;145364]hawk3370, I seem to have missed this thread....your tunic is indeed an Model 1907/10, which seems to have had the original collar replaced or recovered in green material, ('Abzeichentuch' also known as 'Resedagrun') probably post 1915 to emulate the new M15 Feldbluse, although against regulations this officer probably flouted them in favour of being 'the height of fashion' , I suspect just to be different/personal taste, remember adding breast pockets was strictly against regulations but it was still done !..... Your tunic is of Hauptmann rank (Captain) but is not 'Light Foot Artillery' but simply Foot Artillery, (there was no 'light' foot artillery) Brandenburg cuffs, black velvet piping to cuffs and collar, white underlay to shoulderstraps, = Foot Artillery. The '15' in arabic numbers is not for 15th Regiment, as there were only three Bavarian Foot Artillery Regiments. IMO they represent a Battalion number, late in the war the Foot Artillery were measured in Battalions (like the Pioneers) the expanded Bavarian regiments had 17 Battalions. So to sum up, IMO this is a Bavarian Hauptmanns tunic of the 15th Battalion of Foot Artillery.As far as tracing the officer through his decorations/awards, i think this is not possible, unless you have a name.[/QUOTE

Thanks much, very informative. You have been a great help.
    Terry

very nice ensemble,,,i wish you luck in find out who the original owner was...

Terry, How about posting some photos of that Hun enlisted aviator? !!!!

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Terry, How about posting some photos of that Hun enlisted aviator? !!!!
    Tom, here it is:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviat...uniform-13810/
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

WOOF! Holy Mackeral Andy!

I love feldgrau,,man I gotta some. Thats all I need to do,,start collecting something else I can't afford.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast