Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick help needed on 1910 pillbox

Article about: You may find some interesting information by researching the unit... cheers, Glenn

Default Quick help needed on 1910 pillbox

Ever seen a classic 1910 pillbox upgraded in the field to NCO by adding a vulkan fiber visor? There is one I'm looking at.... beautifully marked and dated 1916....a black visor with writing to backside with price has been nicely sewn to front. I need feedback ASAP!....thanks!

I am in limbo about a 1910 Pillbox (shown in the photo) and one I handled at the antique mall recently that had a vulkan fiber visor sewn in....as an NCO upgrade (?) It looked right as rain but am fearful of stepping in crap. Cap is nicely marked and is $300. What's your advice, thanks!

Impossible to tell you anything for sure without photos...Exterior, interior, stitching, markings...
    Just to add, this is why I never do appraisals over the phone, btw...I could tell you it's good and you'd blame me if it was fake and you lost your money,..I assume you are a newer collector and highly recommend focused study on the matter you intend to collect before entering a high-price purchase...Welcome and good luck!
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 12-13-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Hi Nigel,
    As Glen has stated detailed photos are required mate if anyone is to help. Especially with regards to the nature of this item.
    All the best
    Dave

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Impossible to tell you anything for sure without photos...Exterior, interior, stitching, markings...
    Just to add, this is why I never do appraisals over the phone, btw...I could tell you it's good and you'd blame me if it was fake and you lost your money,..I assume you are a new collector and highly recommend focused study on the matter you intend to collect before entering a high-price purchase...Welcome and good luck!
    cheers, Glenn
    Yes, I hear ya 100%....was just trying to get a vibe on 'feasibility'....as having it in hand it looked good and quite of the period. Has anyone seen a 1910 Pillbox that got a mod? Was this common or a "hey you can't get away with doing that to your cap kind of deal"....?

PS....been collecting 50+ years. My gut vibe at the time was very believable. I'll go back and photo tomorrow if still there.

Looking forward to the photos, hoping it's a winner...! Such modifications are not unheard of, and KaisersBunker has a few examples ...
    cheers, Glenn

Kaisers Bunker is mindblowing but doesn't quite answer my question. My gut vibe on this piece is really good but, I will wait till I can post pix from the shop of it. 'If' authentic its a good pick up at a fair price. The problem will be authenticating from computer pix..... and it will leave me no closer actually.

Here are some supporting pix! There is little doubt in my mind a good cap but I am concerned about the visor mod....?

I agree, and suggest you buy it for $300...The writing on the visor tells me that it was part of an order for 128 visors, so this cap is one out of those 128 modified caps...The interior markings indicate Bavarian Infantry Regt.180, and I suspect this could be a Freikorps Piece...Good score, in my opinion...
    cheers, Glenn

Yeah, I thought pretty nifty as well and now own it. Thanks for the encouragement. I blew a little steam thru it and it has that ancient aroma....soooo nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast