Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Recent Find! Kaiser Wilhelm II und seine zeit 1888-1913

Article about: Something interesting I picked up while looking for military stuff. Question is, who does this appeal to? The WWI collector, or more leaning towards Imperial? The book was given at the begin

Default Recent Find! Kaiser Wilhelm II und seine zeit 1888-1913

Something interesting I picked up while looking for military stuff. Question is, who does this appeal to? The WWI collector, or more leaning towards Imperial? The book was given at the beginning of WWI, but it obviously covers many years before that. Anyway, the book has been obviously read many times, and started falling apart, many years ago, and the pages were taped (a long time ago), which doesn't offend me so much but some more purist collectors might look down on it because of the condition. Personally, while not crazy about the tape, I'm not all that turned on by old items that still look new.

It also has a nice old smell, instead of smelling like Tide or Febreze, or whatever pervades peoples homes these days... You can hardly buy any old military items anymore that actually smell like surplus, that great smell ;-)

Does anyone have idea of value in this condition, and if someone is interested (this is not a solicitation to sell) let me know, because
    I will probably try to convert it into WWII items ;-)

PS, be proud of me! This is the first time I've successfully uploaded photos to the site the correct way, not through my photo hosting program ;-)

Default Re: Recent Find! Kaiser Wilhelm II und seine zeit 1888-1913

Nice old book with some great photos.
    Love the shot of Wilhelm I.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks just like one of old time my neighbors, we play pool sometimes ;-), but yes... in case I forgot to mention it, the pictures are great. That you can't read a word doesn't bother me in the least. Of course, many can. If the inscription in the second picture could be translated by someone, I'd be very much obliged.

good stuff.
    chris

I'll have to reshoot the inscription on account of the downsizing of the pics, it is visible in pic # 3, but not completely. My guess is that it was given to someone here, because the date reads December, not Dezember. Back with a clearer pic ;-)

It's wonderful being able to upload a pic without uploading it somewhere else first, and not having to feel guilty for when the pics are no longer there ;-)

Kilomikesierra: That's a fine book to have in any condition and I wish it were mine. The inscription is from Katerina to her father, but either she uses a German dialect that my wife and I don't know, or her German is imperfect. My guess is, based on the script and grammatically incorrect German, she is a first generation American, since she uses December 25, 1914 rather than 25 Dezember 1914. For example, she writes, "Liebe Papa," which should be Lieber Papa, and she wishes him a "fröliche Weihnachten" which should be "ein frohes Weihnachten." the rest of the sentence is indecipherable but seems to be suggesting that he read it under some sort of pleasant circumstances. Nevertheless, a really nice artifact of the period to have. Dwight

Thx much for the info, Dwight ;-)