Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal

Article about: I've recently had this passed down to me by my grandmother, she told me that it was a replica of the Medal Given out in the Germany after the sinking if the Lusitania. Apparently these mock

Default Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal

I've recently had this passed down to me by my grandmother, she told me that it was a replica of the Medal Given out in the Germany after the sinking if the Lusitania. Apparently these mock medals where sold door to door by the Red Cross to raise money, I'm guessing this is perhaps almost propaganda. That is what I was told by grandmother, but that is from what research she had done. Any ideas on this one ?

Sorry about image quality I can get better pictures if needed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal   Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal  

Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal   Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal
    P
    Many

Default Re: Red Cross Mock Sinking of the Lusitania Medal

interesting piece.

I'm sure no medal existed in Germany and that this is British propaganda to show the barbaric nature of the Hun (" "), but it is even more interesting for this IMO.

This is a British copy of an actual German medal.

Here is a link that has a little bit of info---
    Sinking of the RMS Lusitania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Interesting item and good to see it still in it's original box.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Ah, so it was originally a satirical medal in Germany, not a celebration of the sinking as portrayed by the reproduction here. That makes more sense to me.

Hello chaps,

on the contrary these medals were first produced in Germany by the medal sculptor Karl Goetz as a satirical piece to suggest the Cunard Line were quite happy to continue taking passenger money despite stern warnings that no allied shipping was safe. 'Geschaft Uber Alles' above a skeleton in a Cunard ticket office literally means 'business above everything'.

The interesting part is that due to a typo the incorrect date of the sinking was stamped -5th May 1915 rather than the 7th May suggesting that the sinking of the passenger liner was premeditated. Britain swooped on this and produced thousands of boxed copies as a propoganda coup. I believe they could be obtained free at the time by buying a certain newspaper.

My uncle has one but the box has long gone so I did a little research for him. Some are rarer than others and here is a great link to start off a little research of your own version.

LusitaniaMedal Home Page

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks For the information and the link, shame that the piece of paper that came with it has been lost. But still a nice piece of propaganda.