Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

relic leather pouch

Article about: I would like some help to ID this leather pouch. It's ground dug so it has seen better days but for trained eyes it shouldn't be difficult to understand what it is. I posted it in the german

?

Default relic leather pouch

I would like some help to ID this leather pouch. It's ground dug so it has seen better days but for trained eyes it shouldn't be difficult to understand what it is. I posted it in the german room because it was found there, together with prussian stuff. But it doesn't look like a german mag pouch at all.
    At some stage you can see there was a flaming grenade and a number "6" attached to it. Question is: what is it? Thanks

relic leather pouchrelic leather pouch
    Regards

Matt

Default Re: relic leather pouch

I don't know what it is but I can say that is a wonderful artifact! Did you dig it yourself?

?

Hi Glenn, thank you! No, I did not dig it myself unfortunately.
    Regards

Matt

Matt, too small for an issue pouch, ammo etc...but the perfect size for a leather coin purse often carried by Imperial soldiers, usually decorated on the front flap with devices ,buttons/unit numbers etc, as yours is, to show the Regiment the owner was attached to, this is IMO what this item is...a good piece ! The flaming grenade would intimate a field artillery Regiment, coupled with a metal 6 device, it may be the owner was attached to "Feld-Artillerie-Regt. von Puecker (1. Schlesisches) Nr.6 garrisoned at Breslau and part of the VI Armee Korps, unless of course there was another metal number in front of the six.
    Prost ! Steve.

Steve's right I think. Here's a couple of contemporary ones found in a German trench in Carsbach, Eastern France, and another from Pheasant Wood near Fromelles, both during WW1.
    Attached Images Attached Images relic leather pouch  relic leather pouch 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thank you guys, I think you framed it! It contained some coins when found!
    Regards

Matt