Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Researching an Iron Cross recipient

Article about: Hello to all I thought I would need some help from WW1 collectors and experts. Today I finally received a postcard that I ordered some time ago. It is basically a photo of a couple, presumab

Default Researching an Iron Cross recipient

Hello to all

I thought I would need some help from WW1 collectors and experts. Today I finally received a postcard that I ordered some time ago. It is basically a photo of a couple, presumably taken in 1915. On the back there was inscribed some information of the man in uniform: Karl Gärtner. He was killed on the Western Front on the 21st of June 1915, in the age of 25. Luckily I was able to find his death notice in local press. He served in the Grenadier Regiment König Wilhelm I (2. Westpreussisches) nr. 7 from Liegnitz (Gärtner's hometown) in Silesia. As you can see, the yet-not-fallen soldier wears a ribbon on his uniform.

The death notice mentions him being a Knight of the Iron Cross. I was wondering, what options are there to find out when and how Gärtner received the Iron Cross? Are there any printed register books of the IC recipients, or does it require some deep archival research?

Any thoughts and suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for all your help

Best regards
    Lancier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Researching an Iron Cross recipient  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Researching an Iron Cross recipient
    P
    Many

I think your best option would be to search his home town library for old
    news paper articles that might mention him.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thank you for clearing things up. If that's the case, I think I will give it a try!

Best regards
    Lancier