MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube

Article about: I bought this helmet from a coin/estate/junk shop a few years ago and have been slowly restoring it. I didn't know anything about the pickelhaube, so it has been a learning experience for me

?

Default Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube

I bought this helmet from a coin/estate/junk shop a few years ago and have been slowly restoring it. I didn't know anything about the pickelhaube, so it has been a learning experience for me.

I'll post some of the photos that I took shortly after I bought it and then will follow up with some shots of how it looks along the way. I know the chinstrap is a repro, I'll replace that when I find one that matches the condition of the helmet. Also, I have not done any resewing to it as I figure that any mistakes that I have done so far can be reversed, but sewing is pretty permanent.

If you have suggestions/recommendations, please let me know!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube   Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  

Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube   Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  

Attached Images Attached Images Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube

Today I replaced the front visor trim, which is about all that I am doing until I get the courage to resew the back visor! I am also reshaping it (again!). I think I will have to keep it on a mannequin head to keep it form.
    Attached Images Attached Images Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube  Restoring my model 1915 pickelhaube 

?

Excellent job beastie!!! looks great.

brought back from the dead
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Beast, unless you plan on changing the body you are doing the correct thing. By keeping it on a molded type head that will bring the leather back to shape in time.
    I have one as well in similar condition and the only way of reshaping it is to keep it as you already have it. As for the visors that it is much trickier as unless they are replaced they will need to be molded to a metal template that is of the correct shape for the leather to conform to.
    All of this takes time and i am sure finding a type of solution applied to the leather will only speed the process faster but i don't have the time to experiment with mine at this time. I am sure there is someone here that will help guide you better in reshaping the leather faster.

rgds, Ty

?

Thanks to everyone for their comments! Compared to the many beautiful haubes that I have seen on this and other forums, this one may not look like it was worth the time and money to mess with. But to see it hanging on a peg in the junk shop, I thought it deserved better than that. I was lucky that the spike was still with it, and the kokarden were part of a US grouping that I bought. The only thing I have any money in (less than USD $80) is the front plate and a few dollars for the repro chinstrap.

It may not be a great looking helmet, but you know if I pick up an enlistedman's cover, it would be an excellent one to use for display!

Problem with buying these dang helmets, once you get one, you always want more!

nice work you don there, love seeing work like this.