Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

S98/05 with runes on handle

Article about: Hello. I recently picked up this bayonet locally. I got it at a reduced price as I pointed out to the seller the handles were not original and there was no scabbard but I've always really li

Default S98/05 with runes on handle

Hello. I recently picked up this bayonet locally. I got it at a reduced price as I pointed out to the seller the handles were not original and there was no scabbard but I've always really liked the look and feel as these. I looked it over closely a couple days later and to my surprise there are marks on the handle SSD(the SS are in rune form). The marks appear very old and faded. I hope they show up OK on the pictures(they are on the top left above the screw next to the pommel). There are no other marks on the bayonet except the original acceptance marks on the spine and makers mark. Has anyone seen another like this? I'm not 100% sure but I don't think these were added by a faker. There was no increase in price, in fact the seller and I did not notice them when I bought it. Also, from what I've seen fakers aren't subtle and usually mark the whole thing up with swas, runes, skulls, etc. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S98/05 with runes on handle   S98/05 with runes on handle  

S98/05 with runes on handle   S98/05 with runes on handle  

S98/05 with runes on handle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S98/05 with runes on handle
    P
    Many

it's a WW1 issue German bayonet not anything to do with the SS.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    it's a WW1 issue German bayonet not anything to do with the SS.
    Hi. I understand that but have read at least in the early days the SS did use reworked, captured weapons, etc. as in this picture?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S98/05 with runes on handle  

Trying to prove that an old faded pen mark on a old salty bayonet handle is related to the SS holds about as much water as a spaghetti strainer, but then again, hope floats! lol

I'm not seeing it...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I do not believe those grips are original to that bayo.
    They do not have the diagonal grooves or the drain hole.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Maybe outdoor photos can make it easier for others to see what you mean sir?

Moved to Imperial forum
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi. I'll try to get some out door pics to see if they show up better. I've read that rifles were marked when reworked and thought perhaps something similar may have happened here. So I take it nothing similar has been seen on bayonets. Thanks again.

Greetings Popcorn,

The bayonet appears to have been buffed by a wire wheel or some other powered polishing implement as the visible sheen on the metal surfaces is just too new. Prior to this treatment, the corrosion/pitting on the blade shows this bayonet had been left in a less than desirable environment (probably where the original wooden grips succumbed) for quite some time and now someone has “tarted up” the bayonet with the wire wheel treatment, poorly fitted wooden grips, and spurious SS runes.

I have handled dozens of S98/05s and currently own four, I have never seen an example (even post-war used by Eastern European countries), possess such a poorly fitted replacement grip (that was not a backyard made replacement). As such, I find it highly inconceivable that any SS personnel would have been issued this bayonet in its current state (i.e. those poorly fitted grips sporting their logo).

I completely understand, your desire for this bayonet to be something rare and amazing however, (I have that "epiphany" too many times myself) I think it is something that has been cleaned and repaired in order to make a quick buck/sale… and nothing more unique than that.

Respectfully,

Lance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast