Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw back bayonet

Article about: Hi i got hold of a German saw back bayonet today, I know little about these, so after a bit if info, it appears to have two makers marks one being H.MUNDLOS & CO MAGDEBURG and on the oth

?

Default Saw back bayonet

Hi i got hold of a German saw back bayonet today, I know little about these, so after a bit if info, it appears to have two makers marks one being H.MUNDLOS & CO MAGDEBURG and on the other side is Deutsche Maschinenfabrik A-G Duisburg . Also has date stamp 17. Any info would be great.

?

Default pics

a few pics, as you can see it has seen some action.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3014.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	818230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3015.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	818231  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3016.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	818232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	818234  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3018.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	818235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3019.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	818237  

?

A very respectable S98/05nAmS or more commonly known as a "Butcher blade". From the date and Royal cypher, you know that it is Prussian. Also, Mundlos is the actual maker and Maschinenfabrik A-G supplied them with the blade. One of my favorite bayonets, every collector should have at least one.

Nice find,
    Jim

Beautiful bayonet....

Yup it's a good one!......
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

?

Thanks for having a look and leaving comments and info.
    I have seen one with just the Maschinenfabrik A-G stamped without the mundlos stamping on a dealers site, is it less common with both or just the one. I was lucky to come across the bayonet as it was in retro furniture/ clothing shop. I came across it a week ago along side a nice British no5 bayonet, I only had the cash for one and went for the no5 (now posted on here) had to wait a week and hope it was still there when I went back today, paid 130 , hope about right.

they are a rare blade now,well done.

?

It's in nice condition. These saw a lot of use and they are hard to find in better condition than this. I would be happy to pay what you paid in Australia but not sure what they usually go for in the UK

?

Maschinenfabrik A-G was one of the biggest maker/supplier's of the S98/05's in WWI, so they are fairly common. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is right now, but you rarely see an S98/05nAmS go for less than $300 US. I think you payed a fair to low price for it.

Jim

?

One of my favorites as well! Congratulations!

Adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast