Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Saw this at the SOS; Experimental German WW1 helmet

Article about: I took these photos at the SOS because I remember seeing a similar example described as a WW1 German experimental helmet. In any case I thought it might be of interest here.

?

Default Re: Saw this at the SOS; Experimental German WW1 helmet

I think theres one of these in the Imperial War Museum here in England, i remember seeing something very similar many yrs ago, and i believe it was one of 10 existing examples in the world

Gents, a very rare helmet indeed, as Dave mention in above post....and these days they are faked ! (or as some dealers state a "replica"), at this price one would expect it to be genuine, but hey, there are plenty of expensives fakes ! (it would need serious debate) A first attempt at a steel helmet, carried out by Army troop Gaede on the Western front (Vosges) an initiative of the Chief of staff Colonel Hesse, heavy at 2kgs, providing protection for head and nose, it never exceeded a production of 1500 units....a fascinating helm.
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Was this helmet for observers in the first front? Protected against snipers?

cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12