Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?

Article about: Hi, I was thinking... was the removal of sawbacks regulated? By that I mean the technical specs of the actual handling. I've seen different 'ways' in which this was done, one more thorough t

Question Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?

Hi,

I was thinking... was the removal of sawbacks regulated? By that I mean the technical specs of the actual handling. I've seen different 'ways' in which this was done, one more thorough than the other.

Every removal seems to start at the back of the spine about an inch from the crossguard, in many (sad!) cases shaving of crowned stamps and dates in that location. I've noticed these types and included pictures from my collection:

1) Shaving continues over the entire blade and includes (most of) the false edge along the tip

2) Shaving stops neatly where the fals edge begins, creating a perfect symmetry and only removing the sawback itself and NOT the tip

3) Sloppy shaving resulting in a still visible sawback (like on some Turkish ones)

Here's an example of the sloppy kind:
    Bavarian bayonet. Not in great shape, but an interesting piece. The crowned 'O 11' marking on the spine has been largely removed along with the sawback. According to Carter's "German bayonets - Vol 1' this company only produced for Bavaria in 1911, marked 'O'. By the placing of the remaining "1" - I'd guess this was marked "11" There's severe damage on the tip of the blade and the false edge, looks like someone used a hammer on it... Could this saw be removed by the Turks, or did they shorten all of their pieces?

Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?

Any thoughts...?

PS: I'm sorry to bother you with exclusive queries about (and only about) this type of bayonet, but I limit my collecting field to exactly this one ;-)

Kris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?
    P
    Many

?

Kris, you have a great selection of S98/05 S.abg. ! I don't know if anyone has a copy of the actual order to remove the sawback that they would want to share, but I have never seen it. But, as your collection shows, there were many different styles of removal, from haphazard and sloppy to very clean and uniform. Bottom line, the teeth were to be removed and the bayo returned to service as quickly as possible. I have seen a few that had an inspectors stamp placed on top of the repair. To me that would indicate that some made it further behind the lines for re-working than others.

If you could focus your collecting efforts on one model of bayonet, I don't think you could do better than the S98/05 "Butcher"!

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks!

True, I also have one with an inspection stamp on top of the repair. The longer I collect, the more 98/05 variations I discover, so there's a long and very interesting way to walk ;-)

Cheers!

Cleaning day... I love the smell of gun oil in the morning ;-)

I like that picture
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks. It struck me aswell, the variation in color is beautiful. Makes me remember never to buy pieces which can no longer be dismantled, I take them apart and at the very least clear all of the active rust under the grips and inside the springs in the scabbard.

?

I used to spend a whole weekend wiping down my bayo's and re-oiling. Even though I did this religiously, I would always find a few with surface rust. I started using renwax and have put an end to rusting. I still inspect everything regularly and reapply the wax every couple of years. It has cut my maintenance time in at least half.

Jim

Here's my saw back removed Polish reissue!....

?

Hi Gunny, any markings on your butcher, other than the added serial number? Were the grips missing when you found it, or did it come this way?

Jim

I was thinking the same thing. No idea if all Polish reissues were marked WZ98... Removal of the Feuerschutzblech and adaptation of the grips is fairly common.

PS: looks like a plain model, not a removed sawback. The serial number is a puzzle. I noticed it on many pieces, mostly Waffenfabrik Mausers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast