Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Seeking info and help. Silver Kaiserliche Marine Plaque.

Article about: Does anyone happen to know what this is or what it could have been used for? The seller says it's high grade silver and it measures 8.3 cm x 5 cm. Any information would be much appreciated.

Default Seeking info and help. Silver Kaiserliche Marine Plaque.

Does anyone happen to know what this is or what it could have been used for? The seller says it's high grade silver and it measures 8.3 cm x 5 cm.
    Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Luke

Seeking info and help. Silver Kaiserliche Marine Plaque.Seeking info and help. Silver Kaiserliche Marine Plaque.

Default Re: Seeking info and help. Silver Kaiserliche Marine Plaque.

I have no idea what it comes from but i will say that it looks to definately be from europe.Having said that i was under the impression that all "offical"gold and silverware had to be proof marked and i cannot see one

?

It's definitely German, or Prussian to be exact. That's the Prussian Eagle.
    What the item is from is another matter.

Looks like pewter to me. Interestingly, there are no studs or
    attachments to fix it to a plaque.

As said, there should be silver content markings
    if it is indeed silver.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Luke: I converted the metric measurments to imperial and it worked out to be about 3.25 inches high and just a tad short of 2 inches wide, so whatever it is, it isn't very big. I agree with Steve (Walkwolf) that it looks like pewter, though it's hard to belive the seller would claim it was silver if it's really pewter, since the two metals are easily recognized "in the flesh" as being entirely different. And I am certain the piece is cast. I looked at the photos the seller posted and there is no sign of a hallmark. Those points, and the fact that there is no way short of using mastic to attach this piece to something, leads me to the belief that it is a privately made, one-off item that had a specific, unfulfilled purpose. It certainly isn't official in any sense, and I'm sure the seller would have mentioned that if it were. In any event, I wouldn't pay the $250 the seller is asking. This is just an opinion. Dwight

Possibly for the cover of a photo-album...It may not even be a period piece...I think you could do better with your $250, friend!

Thanks for all your help everyone. As much as I like it I think I'll leave it alone. Though I wouldn't of paid $250.00 I would of been tempted if the price was right.
    Thanks again guys! You've been a big help!

Luke