Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Silver and Black wound badges - legit?

Article about: Hey all. I'm cropduster777 and I'm new at the forum. I'm posting about an auction on ebay right now with pretty good photos in the item description. For sale is two imperial wound badges, on

Question Silver and Black wound badges - legit?

Hey all. I'm cropduster777 and I'm new at the forum. I'm posting about an auction on ebay right now with pretty good photos in the item description. For sale is two imperial wound badges, one silver the other black.

Here is the link: German WWI Silver and Black Wound Badges AUTHENTIC - eBay (item 130493802584 end time Mar-11-11 21:00:21 PST)

I have a few other period items (EK2, british war medal), but I'm not an expert on these badges. There have been alot of bids, but to my limited knowledge and novice eyes, the silver badge looks authentic and the black badge looks bogus.

What do you all think? Thanks much!

Default Re: Silver and Black wound badges - legit?

Hi, and welcome to the Forum, Cropduster......................!

They both look ok to me, these two badges.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Walkwolf and hello. What threw me off about the black badge is how the lower "bolt" on the helmet doesn't line up between the swords, and how the tip of the pin is not only flattened but is also mounted low (with the hinge below the wreath-line). But again, I'm not educated on the different styles in which these were produced. Apparently, Third Reich wound badges are easier to judge.

The black badge is more round, or squat, as well. ( I have two like this, one of steel
    and one of brass or bronze. Maybe they are both repro's ! ? )

The silver one listed above is an economical type made from one piece of material
    and marked 'DRGM' which is between the wars, I believe..................
    Regards,

Steve.

Cool Re: Silver and Black wound badges - legit?

Alright, well I'm ok with at least the silver one so I placed a bid. If I win, I will post hi-res pics to this thread once i receive them. And maybe some of my other goodies as well

EDIT: I got sniped at literally the last second.
    Last edited by cropduster777; 03-12-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Gentlemen, both wound badges are fine, 100% original, they reached a good price ! it would appear that prices are rising !...DRGM marks are found on some Imperial wound badges, but are so small they are difficult to see....it means "Deutsches Reich Gebrauchs Muster" meaning "registered design" and was introduced in 1891 and carried on until the end of the "Third Reich" i.e. 1945. DRGM numbers were used on anything from bottle openers to pianos, anything that needed legal design protection, it was a sort of economy patent.
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks, Steve.

I have a small leather-bound whiskey flask in the shape of a cigarette case marked 'DRGM'
    and I always thought 30's era - especially Imperial medal bars with this mark - because
    of Hindenberg crosses on them. I did not know the exact time frame in which this
    marking was used, but most items I've seen look rather 'new' condition-wise,
    not like something approaching 100 years old.........!
    Regards,

Steve.