Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Silver Wound Badge- Real or Fake?

Article about: From a local picker,this WW1 wound badge is totally out of My area of collecting. Badge seems to be well made and will not bend, but the pin and clasp seem really cheap and before I put in t

FAB
    ?

Default Silver Wound Badge- Real or Fake?

From a local picker,this WW1 wound badge is totally out of My area of collecting. Badge seems to be well made and will not bend, but the pin and clasp seem really cheap and before I put in the repro box I wanted to get opinions of it from Imperial collectors. Thanks so much for Your time. Best, RickSilver Wound Badge- Real or Fake?Silver Wound Badge- Real or Fake?Silver Wound Badge- Real or Fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Silver Wound Badge- Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Silver Wound Badge- Real or Fake?

Sorry to tell you but this is a fake.

FAB
    ?

No worries Chris, suspected it all along but came in a 'group' deal so not really out any great sum. Thanks for Your help. Best, Rick

?

How can you tell it is a fake ? I thought fakes hadbther coke bottle pin ?

Quote by banksy View Post
    How can you tell it is a fake ? I thought fakes hadbther coke bottle pin ?
    banksy, this specimen is quite poor, look at the detail, it should be crisp not soft as on this one, especially the leaves/berries, the main give away are the "dots" imprinted on the background, inconsistant/lacking on fakes especially between the sword hilts, on this one they are not only all over the place, and not there in parts ! on a genuine badge the dots flow across the background, so to speak, and will correctly line up between helmet and swords. The fastenings, hinge & clasps are not substantial enough, one will learn about open and closed hinge blocks, round/flat "c" catches and types of pins, thin, thick, coke style. Each era of production will have its peculiarities, Imperial era made badge for instance, will not have a "coke bottle" pin ...a lot to take in but one will learn and it should become second nature...handle as many originals (and fakes) so that you can get valuable hands on feeling. For instance, the black (3rd class) will always be made as a pressing from thin sheet metal or brass, the WW2 silver/gold versions are always solid and never pressed, however WW1 versions were ! a WW2 gold or silver badge that is hollow, will, more likly be a black one painted ! or a fake, again some WW2 versions have the hook and hinge integrally cast into badge, again Imperials did not. Learn about metals these badges were made of, WW2 badges were (rule of the thumb) made of buntmetal/tombak which was expensive, they then turned to Cupal as a base material and finally in the late war years Zinc. I have no fakes...but if any one has, post them as IMO it would make a good side by side comparison with pointers to help the new collectors into the minefield of collecting these badges. OH, and get some good reference books !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 08-03-2011 at 12:23 PM.

?

Orador thanks for the info on Wound Badges, that was interesting to hear all WW2 silver & gold are solid backed!! Im new to this game & my Missus has just bought me Silver Wound Badge from ebay.. for £60...thankfully with a solid back, when it turns up i will get her to post some pix!! hopefully the real deal!!!thanks again....