Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

A simple question on Hindenburg crosses

Article about: Hello i have attached 2 photos of the reverse side of 2 Hindenburg crosses. The numbers ''1'' and ''14'' aren't the maker's number ID? Since it's the same maker, shouldn't they have the same

Exclamation A simple question on Hindenburg crosses

Hello i have attached 2 photos of the reverse side of 2 Hindenburg crosses. The numbers ''1'' and ''14'' aren't the maker's number ID?
    Since it's the same maker, shouldn't they have the same number?
    Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A simple question on Hindenburg crosses   A simple question on Hindenburg crosses  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Default Re: A simple question on Hindenburg crosses

These will be die numbers I suspect? This maker might have had multiple dies to make these crosses. These were always numbered so any faults could be identified. I know this explanation is correct for other items, so I think it applies here too.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade and thanks for the info. So you believe that is original? Coz that number issue got me thinking. I have included the obverse of the cross with it's doc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A simple question on Hindenburg crosses  

donkihotis7, your cross and award document are 100% original, Ade is quite right regarding the crosses from this maker, " R.V.PFORZHIEM ", Hindenburg crosses are marked from 1 to 91 ! are found bearing this maker. Remember well over 7 million Hindenburg crosses were awarded between 1934 and 1945, at this rate dies would often break down ! Heres some interesting facts re this cross.....Among all awarded was Hermann Göring on 1st sept 1934 and Adolf Hitler on 4th Sept 1934. But not only Germans was awarded this medal, Finnish soldiers from the 27th Jaeger Btl for example and even some Swedish soldiers fighting on the German side in the Great War.
    6,202,883 combatants cross awarded, 1,120,449 non-combatants awarded, 345,112 awarded to widows and 373,950 awarded to parents. They weigh between 8.7 grams to a full 10.0 grams and varies from a golden brown colour to choclate brown, widows cross is black. There are 221 known markings, so one could "just" collect these crosses ! Hope this helps,
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks for the feedback and the info Oradour. So many pieces no wonder why they are so cheap. In this sense only a fool would make a copy of this cross. So you believe it's ok. I'll go for it
    I just love medals with documents. I hope to find a well priced EKII as the other 2 i have already found were priced more than 200 euros.

?

The Crosses are Ok. They are made by the "metalurgist assosiation" (Reichsverband) of Pforzheim.

Quote by Cretan View Post
    The Crosses are Ok. They are made by the "metalurgist assosiation" (Reichsverband) of Pforzheim.
    Thanks Cretan man