Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Simson Butcher blade

Article about: If you cats could have a look at this blade. I think I have a 1915 Simson and Co. 4th Infantrie Kp, but I will leave it to you. Like I have said, WW1 is not really my bag, so I'm not positiv

Default Simson Butcher blade

If you cats could have a look at this blade. I think I have a 1915 Simson and Co. 4th Infantrie Kp, but I will leave it to you. Like I have said, WW1 is not really my bag, so I'm not positive on this bad boy.
    Is there a good site to find out what all of these marks mean? There's a very small set near the release I can barely see...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Simson Butcher blade   Simson Butcher blade  

Simson Butcher blade   Simson Butcher blade  

Simson Butcher blade   Simson Butcher blade  

Simson Butcher blade  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Simson Butcher blade
    P
    Many

Default Re: Simson Butcher blade

Nice Simson & Co. bayonet, scabbard and frog with standard proof markings.

The knot looks like it is made from a curtain tassel !
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 01-25-2011 at 04:57 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

a curtain tassel...hate to see the rest of the firepower that comes with the rest of the curtains.

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post

a curtain tassel...hate to see the rest of the firepower that comes with the rest of the curtains.
    I know it is not a curtain tassel, but that is what it looks like !

I can't tell you anything about the branch or regiment, but perhaps
    'Oradour' Steve can shed some light on it............

It is a great find all together like this !
    Regards,

Steve.

Gentlmen, this a nice virtualy complete bayonet assembly.... a Model 98/05 n.A (neuer Art/new model from 1914 on) this newer model had the addition of the metal flash guard along the top of the wooden handles grips to prevent damage when the rifle was fired, it as you have said manufactured by "Simson & Co" of Suhl, the markings on the top of the handle and on the top spine of the blade are Government/arsenal inspection stamps not "Regimentals" (Regiment markings), they indicate the item was made in 1915 (15) in the reign of Willhelm II (W). The curtain tassle, or to give its correct name "Troddel" is a bonus to have, the purpose of a troddel was to identify which Company a soldier was from within the Regiment, 4 companies per Battalion, 3 Battalions per Regiment, coupled with his shoulder straps, one could immediatly I.D. the mans unit,(it was phased out during the war for obvious intelligence reasons !) made up of five parts Linen strap (Riband), Woolen slider (Shieber), Stem (Stangel), Crown (Kranz) and Tassle (Quaste), this one is missing its woolen slider, but IMO to no detriment, its colour combination can only be "Blue/White/Blue" for, as SatansCabanaBoy has correctly said for the 4th Company, 1st Battalion. All in all a nice piece to have. As far as I am aware there is no sites which inform us on the Government/arsenal marks.
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the time.

(i think I am going to just print your response out and put it in the display case. I particularly like the bit there near the end where you say i was right about something. An interesting turn from my normal TR fake buying).

Exactly what Oradour has said. The Troddel (curtain tassel?) is a private purchase. Click on this site to view a mint 3. Kompanie Troddel. 2140666 You have a very nice item that shows use.

Anton

That's great Anton, thank you.

I thought it was the real deal when I bought it. I saw the other thread in the forum where participants were talking about the troddel. There was a great chart, that I can only assume was posted by Steve, that showed the different colours for the different companies. I remember the discussion about wooden forms, and the way it sat on the frog. So when I saw this, the deal was just too good to pass. When I picked it up I was seriously hoping for it to be a sawtooth back, but this being in this good of condition was okay for me as well.

I knew that WalkWolf was just screwing around about the curtains.
    I was just picturing the rest of the kit hanging with some nice military grey over the parlor windows...heh.

Bravo, Steve - great response - you are the man !

Hope you weren't offended by the 'curtain tassel' crack, SCB,
    I do like this complete set of yours..............!
    Regards,

Steve.

The curtain joke made me laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast