Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

strange ks98 bayonet

Article about: hello what do you think about this variation?have You seen something like this before?the bayonet have leather grips and imo strange blade some out of regulamination type? best regards

Default strange ks98 bayonet

hello what do you think about this variation?have You seen something like this before?the bayonet have leather grips and imo strange blade some out of regulamination type?
    best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture strange ks98 bayonet   strange ks98 bayonet  

strange ks98 bayonet   strange ks98 bayonet  

strange ks98 bayonet   strange ks98 bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement strange ks98 bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Are there any markings on this?

the bayonet is unmarked

This is an interesting and rare knife. Stylistically it could date from the 1880's to WW1. The hilt and crossguard have styling clues found in the M1898 bayonet. It is likely to be German. Use of leather hand grips evokes an earlier age, popular in 1860-1880's with European bayonets. But pre -WW1 fighting knives also are found with leather grips such as this. In fact if it wasn't for the long length of the blade (is it 25cm?) I would suspect a private purchase fighting knife. The blade itself is a rare style with double edge and short fuller. That reminds me of a Solingen sword blade JJ Runkel imported into Britain for broadswords in the early 1800's. Another Solingen styling clue. That double edge blade is unlike any German bayonet blade of the period.
    Is it even military? a good question as in German hunting Knife tradition military style knives were sometimes used, and this long narrow double edge blade would be ideal to finish off wounded animal. Also a leather sheath would usually come with a hunting knife which may explain why none now exists for this one. It does have a bayonet button, but these do appear on fighting knives of the era as well. Private purchase "Walking Out bayonet" is however quite possible.
    For me more questions than answers. I like it alot. Hopefully Lance will comment.

?

It looks to me to be a reworked 98 bayonet -

thank You very much for this load of knowledge,the blade lenght is 22cm the overall lenght is 33cm
    good to have something mysteroius
    best regards