Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Touched-up Camo helmet

Article about: I bought this red helmet, thinking there may be a nice camo pattern under the paint. I couldn't get all the red paint off without destroying the original camo job. So I got a paint mix kit a

?

Default Touched-up Camo helmet

I bought this red helmet, thinking there may be a nice camo pattern under the paint. I couldn't get all the red paint off without destroying the original camo job. So I got a paint mix kit and tried to match the remaining paint and duplicate the camo pattern and touch it up. Hope I didn't eff it up too bad. I can handle the criticism. The paint will easily come off with alcohol.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_61.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	729512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	729520  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_60.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	729513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	729514  

Name:	IMG_2525.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	729518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2527.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	729516  

Name:	IMG_2524.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	729519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2526.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	729517  

It doesn't look to bad, did you try nail polish remover or acetone for the red?

Looks like a cool lid. Now it just needs a liner.

?

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    It doesn't look to bad, did you try nail polish remover or acetone for the red?
    I used mostly ethanol and rubbed with a cotton ball......acetone was too strong.

given the circumstances, I don't see how you could have done it any better. I do have my own methods for removing paint, but it isn't for the faint-hearted - because it can go disastrously wrong. And unless you are the type of person who can accept absolute failure with a shrug of the shoulders, it is best just to stick to what you have tried yourself. The camo job is certainly an improvement on the red! Well done!
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

?

Nice project piece I think you did great everything considering.

Here's my m16 before and after I used spray paint remover and it worked pretty good but maybe there's something different about the camo paint?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	729691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	729692

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    Here's my m16 before and after I used spray paint remover and it worked pretty good but maybe there's something different about the camo paint?[/ATTACH]
    The difference is that you removed ALL the paint from yours, and that is the last thing you would want to do if there is a disruptive pattern camouflage scheme underneath the top coat of paint.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

That's it's original paint you see not bare metal.

My apologies for that. But in the picture it really does look like bare metal. Maybe it is a trick of the light?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast