Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unknown stamp in an ersatz helmet

Article about: Hi all, I stumbled over a rather unusual stamp in an ersatz helmet made of lacquered felt. The helmet is stamped by the 3rd Bavarian infantry regiment. I believe the second part reads "

Default Re: Unknown stamp in an ersatz helmet

pjm, you are correct !.....we are allways learning, just when you think you have grasped a subject, something turns up to turn it on its head !... Colonel J's site has indeed changed since my last visit.....

Default Re: Unknown stamp in an ersatz helmet

I got the regimental history now and also discussed it with some guys. I thought IŽd hand this on FYI.

Originally, each Regiment had one ersatz battailon in which the fresh recruits were trained. Ersatz battailons were managed and commanded by the brigade, not the regiment.

In 1915, most regiments received a second ersatz battailon. This was simply due to the larg demand of replacements. The 3rd Bavarian Inf. Regiment assembled a second ersatz battailon too, which lasted until March 1918 when it was disbanded.

Normal soldiers would not stay in the ersatz battailon for a longer time and would be transferred to the regular battailons of the regiment. But the ersatz battailons also had a permanent skeleton staff of instructors, NCOs etc. So probably the helmet belonged to such a staff member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12