Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown - WW1 Finnish Medal

Article about: Hello, Hope I've found the correct forum. Do members know anything about this Finnish (I think) WW1 Medal, any back-ground information would be welcome and approximate value appreciated. Reg

?

Default Unknown - WW1 Finnish Medal

Hello,
    Hope I've found the correct forum. Do members know anything about this Finnish (I think) WW1 Medal, any back-ground information would be welcome and approximate value appreciated.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown - WW1 Finnish Medal   Unknown - WW1 Finnish Medal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown - WW1 Finnish Medal
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unknown - WW1 Finnish Medal

he Medal of Liberty

The Medal of Liberty comes in two classes; silver medal with light blue ribbon with narrow white stripe on each edge and bronze 2nd class with red ribbon with two yellow broad stripes on each edge. The Medal of Liberty 2nd class shown is a 1939 Winter War type that was awarded only in wartime for gallantry in the field. The obverse in the center shows the Finnish coat-of arms a Lion brandishing a sword surrounded with the Finnish inscription "UR HEUDESTA FOR TAPPEHET" (FROM THE NATION FOR BRAVERY). The reverse in the center the inscription "SUOMEN KANSALTA 1918" surrounded by a wreath.
    Finnish Award Finnish Award

The silver 1st class Medal of Liberty known as the "Freedom" medal was awarded to SS-Unterscharführer Heinz Lebek who served with the “Finnische Freiwilligen Bataillon der Waffen-SS.”
    On the reverse bottom side of the medal there are four different silver hallmark characters. Notice that the suspension ring is not original they were often replaced to suit German awards. The ribbon for the silver 1st class award is light blue with narrow white stripes on each side.

"AXIS & LEGION MILITARIA" - Axis & Legion Militaria

Not the same date as yours 1941

?

Default Re: Unknown - WW1 Finnish Medal

Thanks for the post Whitehunter.