Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Unkown Medal-German WW1 Medal Bar

Article about: Evening All, I was offered this four piece WW1 German Medal Bar with ribbon bar today.A couple of questions - the unknown medal (at least to me) is the second one between Iron Cross 2nd Clas

?

Default Unkown Medal-German WW1 Medal Bar

Evening All,
    I was offered this four piece WW1 German Medal Bar with ribbon bar today.A couple of questions - the unknown medal (at least to me) is the second one between Iron Cross 2nd Class & Hindenburg Cross ( think it may be Prussian, due ribbon colour) the fourth medal on the right is red cross. What is the second medal, if its a officer's medal coupled with the red cross medal would it mean the original wearer was a doctor or has it no bearing and the wearer was a normal sanitäter. Also could someone give me a rough price, what one should pay.
    Regards

Default Re: Unkown Medal-German WW1 Medal Bar

Hi AlecH,
    your medal bar is indeed an officers, you were right about the Iron cross, Hindenburg & Red cross (Order of the Red Cross 1st grade) medals, the one you are not sure of, is the Wurrtemburg Fredrich order (knight) with swords, 2nd class, it was the Kingdoms equivalent to the Iron Cross, & was typically awarded to Oberleutnant/Leutnant, it could well be that the officer was indeed a Doctor, i would think that the price for these medals via a dealer would be around £125 or via a collector around £100. Hope that helps.

?

Hello Oradour,
    Thanks for the posting and the valuation, I've spent a good couple of hours today searching the internet trying to turn up a price for the medal and drew a blank. Now with your valuation I'll be able to put together for the whole medal bar.
    Best Wishes

Hi there, indeed the man who had this Medal bar was a Doctor and at least of Captain or Majors rank. I used to have a 5-place bar very similar to this one only it had an Order of the Zahringer Lion Knights Cross w/ swords on it. Mine had belonged to a Major or possibly a Lt. Col.