Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Unusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber Visors

Article about: Here's a sleeper ersatz helmet I bought today that will need a little TLC to steam the felt body back into shape. Photos are from the seller. The front & back visors are either cardboard

Default Unusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber Visors

Here's a sleeper ersatz helmet I bought today that will need a little TLC to steam the felt body back into shape.

Photos are from the seller.

The front & back visors are either cardboard or fiber material with the riveted attachment to the felt helmet body, similar to the Depaheg Patent ersatz helmet I acquired a few years ago. I know that James has one of those helmets, as well as Karel.

Hopefully the black felt body will steam back into place with some careful work. I may actually take it to a professional hat blocker to reshape it. The leather liner has water damage to it, so I don't know what that part of it will be like when it arrives.

Best Regards,

Alan

Unusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber VisorsUnusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber VisorsUnusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber VisorsUnusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber VisorsUnusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber VisorsUnusual Black Felt Ersatz Helmet with Rivited Fiber Visors

?

Very interesting. First time seeing one like that.
    So what time frame would this be?
    Somewhere between the 1895 felt and 1915 tin Ersatz types?

I look forward to progress pic's of its restoration.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

To be honest....if I saw this (yes .... less than a newbie knowledge wise) I would assume it was fake and miss out.

Congrats Alan!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks very much for your nice comments gentlemen, I appreciate it!

Yes, this is the first time I've seen one like this too, with the combination of felt body with fiber visors.

Your guess on the time frame is probably correct Phil, I honestly don't know myself when this was made.

Hopefully the felt can be steamed a bit and blocked back into better shape. I'll see what a pro hat blocker says about it.

Best Regards,

Alan

I don't think I've seen this type of ersatz pickelhaube before, all the ones I usually see are the grey/brown felt with the steel wappen and fittings or the helmet is just fully made out of metal. While I'm not an expert I'd guess its from WW1 as there's a lot of variety on those ersatz helmets while the ones made in 1905/1906 were more of a set pattern that was trialed furthermore those have leather visors with the traditional finish. It's a great helmet the black felt makes it really unique, and also looks nicer than most of the other WW1 ersatz pickelhaubes.

Interesting helmet, Alan.
    I'm with Michael on this one. Seeing how the visors are attached,
    I would have guessed that it was somebody's attempt to make a
    helmet from mismatched parts.

I look forward to seeing the "after" pictures.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.