Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Unusual POW souvenir - Stobs Camp Scotland 1915-1916

Article about: Hello everyone, I wanted to share some pictures of a very unusual souvenir of a German POW. There is a small paper inside the bottle saying: "Zur Erinnerung an meine Kriegsgefangenschaf

Default Unusual POW souvenir - Stobs Camp Scotland 1915-1916

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share some pictures of a very unusual souvenir of a German POW.

There is a small paper inside the bottle saying: "Zur Erinnerung an meine Kriegsgefangenschaft 1915 Stobs Schottland 1916" ("To remember my time as a POW in 1915 Stobs Scotland 1916") This German POW must have been arrested in the Stobs Camp in Scotland (near Northumberland National Park).

The structure of the glass makes it hard to see anything on the picture. There is a German sailor inside, houses, trees and a light house.

Has anyone seen another bottle like this before?

Thanks
    Klaus

Default Re: Unusual POW souvenir - Stobs Camp Scotland 1915-1916

Very Interesting!!

?

That s a very nice item. I notice there is condinsation inside the bottle. Remove the cork and let it dry out.

"Ship in a bottle"s used to be a very popular POW made item. The men had nothing but time on their hands and some of their produce was amazing. As Steve said, there is condensation in this bottle though, and even though it's still sealed, you Need to reopen it and dry it-and soon, or you will develop fungus and it will literally be destroyed.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A nice piece of PoW art that needs a bit of TLC as already stated. These were often made as trade items for cigarettes and such like. A suprising amount of later ones are found in Canada due to the fact that during the early part WW2 most PoW's captured by the British in and around the U.K. or in some cases Europe or Norway, were Kreigsmarine or Luftwaffe personnel.

It was thought that due to the cost of keeping them whilst the nation was being starved by the U-Boat blockade and the very real chance of invasion, that it would be best to ship them off to other parts of the empire, namely Canada. It wasn't until later in the war, after the fall of North Africa, that PoW's really started to build up in the U.K. as the tide turned against Germany and the threat of invasion was practically non-existant.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very cool piece. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.