Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?

Article about: Hello, I have what I think is an unusual WW1 German camo helmet (BF64). I have seen various other camo helmets, but not with a camo pattern like this. All the black lines in the pattern go s

Default Re: Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Steve, although I should have asked my question differently. I suppose my question is, why was this regulation? Was it a measure taken to prevent friendly fire? WWII German camo helmets are always so unique. It's just funny to me that all of the WWI helmets have the same camo pattern.
    Originally painted Feldgrau (field grey), the Stahlhelm was often camouflaged by troops in the field using mud, foliage, cloth covers, and paint. Official issue cloth covers in white and grey appeared in late 1916 and early 1917. Camouflage paint was not formally introduced until July 1918, when German Army Order II, No 91 366, signed by General Erich Ludendorff on 7 July 1918, outlined official standards for helmet camouflage. The order stipulated that helmets should be painted in several colors, separated by a finger-wide black line. The colors should be relevant to the season, such as using green, brown and ochre in summer. I guess this was for standardisation throughout the Army, such is the quest for uniformity within the German Army !
    Prost ! Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?

Thank you very much for all the info and education it is much appreciated.

The helmet was given to me over 30 years ago, does anyone have any thoughts on what the value might be?

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2